Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Epiphone Valve Junior

Ricochet

Adding a gain control would really mean adding a master volume. There are only three stages in this amp, two voltage amplifiers that use the two halves of the 12AX7, and the power amp EL84. The Valve Junior's volume control is the grid load resistor of the second 12AX7 stage, which master volume amps use as the "gain" control. The grid load resistor of the EL84 is fixed. Replace it with a pot and you'd have what you want. But it'd change the whole character of the Valve Junior. There are zillions of master volume amps. The Valve Junior's kind of unique nowadays. It's a throwback, a 1950s student amp.

I love my Electar Tube 10 for when I want to play at low volume with gain distortion.

"A cheerful heart is good medicine."

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I played the valve junior and the valve special a couple of times before buying. Both times I liked the valve junior's tone better, it was more focused and the gain was pure. In the end I put my money on the larger cab and 10" speaker of the valve special. After changing tubes and speaker I can live with it and right now I'm really digging it. Sometimes I wish I would have bought two juniors though! I could totally see myself gigging a wall of Valve juniors! I could hook a dozen of 'em to a furniture dolly and just wheel 'em on stage!
Live long and prosper unless it is a good day to die.

There's a new Galaxie 10 for sale now on eBay for $110. I'm seriously thinking about buying it. I think it's the Epiphone version of the Electar you have.

[EDIT] - Bought it. (Spelled Galaxy instead of Galaxie like Epiphone spells it)

Born on the Bayou

Archived