Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Paging Myles... have a 6V6 tube amp question

surgevw

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm not Myles but I'm chiming in. Ignore if you'd like. The best way to get an answer from Myles is by posting on the "Ask Myles" thread.

The problem may be that there's only one or two gain stages in the preamp since you only have one preamp tube. More gain stages = easier to overdrive the preamp. Most push/pull Fender amps had at least 3 gain stages.

Options:

-Add another couple of gain stages. This would require adding another preamp tube and more circuitry. Obviously a time consuming drag.

-Replace the preamp and PI tubes with higher-gain models. A 12AT7 inverter will have less gain but will increase the current to the power amp.

-Bias the power tubes hotter.

-Play with the values of the plate resistors and cathode resistors in the preamp. Changing these can increase preamp gain.

-Adding a tube rectifier will allow for the possibility of increasing power supply "sag". This will make the amp break up more easily and add compression. Like adding another preamp tube, this is an invasive mod and it would require a 5v filament hook up.

-Use less efficient speakers.

"You never can vouch for your own consciousness." - Norman Mailer

Thanks for the input. I couldn't find the "Ask Myles" thread. I am probably just blind.

I just added the brake. 7.5 ohms and a few hundred uH of inductance on a toroid ( a scrap high frequency transformer). In series with an 8 ohm speaker. I am set up for a 16 ohm speaker. I measured 14.5 ohms DC. I have no way of checking the inductance. The toroid was rated for 600V/ 8 amps peak, so it will live.

I am not sure I can tell it is quieter, but if anything the tone might be a bit warmer? Probably a Jedi mind trick the amp is playing on me :)

Seth

still a noob!

Archived