Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Effects pedals power adaptor questions....

WornNeck

I want to build a pedal board, and have the following assortment of stompboxes:

Boss TU-2 Tuner, CE-2 Chorus, CS-2 Compressor, SD-2 Duel Overdrive

Rat 2 Overdrive, Big Muff

Ibanze PT-909 Phase Tone

Morley Wah

ART Extreme Multi-Effects pedal

Obviously I wont be using them all at once, but I'd like to be able to be flexible on the combinations. Needless to say, there's a variety of 9V inputs on these. The Boss pedals have the sockets that take "barrel" type plugs, the Rat and Ibanez take the straight plugs. The older Boss pedals call for an ACA-120 Boss adaptor, and the newer ones want the PSA-120 Boss adaptors. The Ibenez uses an AC-109. (There is also a Boss PSA-120T? adaptor).

Supposedly, I can run a daisy-chain off the Tuner, which is what I'd like to do.

There are differnces in the outputs of different adaptors. Some claim to be 9V some 9.6V. Some of them are 150mA, some are 200mA.

I'm not anticipating any international tours in the near future, so assume this will get used in the US :D

So here's my questions:

Am I going to fry a pedal by using an adaptor that isn't "recommended," ie, the output might be off by 50mA, or .6V?

Is there such a thing as a daisy-chain cord that has both the barrel plugs and the straight plugs?

If I just match them up approximately, can I get by? How do I know if I'm cooking my pedals, smell for smoke? :cry:

I know I need to pay attention to the polarity issues with the plug tips.

Any thoughts, suggestions, recommendations are appreciated, and thanks in advance!

"I've been imitated so well I've heard people copy my mistakes." - Jimi Hendrix

• Replies 2
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If a pedal runs on a 9V battery, a 9V power supply will work fine. Make sure it's DC, not AC, that the power jacks on the pedals want to see.

Add up all of the mA requirements and find a power supply that can handle that total at 70% of it's capability. I would run a 2A supply at no more than 1400mA.

Build the cables. You don't need any fancy wire. Any Radio Shack probably has everything you need.

At Hosa we offer a one to four pedal adapter power splitter.

It's the PDC-373, retail$12.

Roland (Boss) also has some gadgetry for such purpose and I believe there is a universal wall wart supply out there which matches load requirements for power, automatically.

Rob Manning

Hosa & Zaolla

Label on the reverb, inside 1973 Ampeg G-212: "Folded Line Reverberation Unit" Manufactured by beautiful girls in Milton WIS. under controlled atmosphere conditions.

Archived