Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Danelectro FAB Effects

Wes from Wpg

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Originally posted by Guitar Geezer:

FOr $20..I say go for it. Just don't try to compare them to a $$$ Fulltone etc! :wave:

That was my thought. I've wanted a pedal for metal but haven't wanted to shell out the $100+ for a Metal Zone.

I'm sure this one doesn't really compare, but I should be able to get $20 worth of usable tones out of it. I have one of the Hot Pastrami overdrives from their mini series. Not bad for $25.

If I decide to get one I'll let you guys know what I think.

Prob a good risk to reward ratio. I've got about a dozen various Dano Pedals. All work well, and are well made. If you see something you like, seems like a safe bet, especially with such a small investment.

I've got two of the Wasabi line stompboxes in my current lineup. The Forward-Revese Delay, and the Chorus Trem.

It's cooler in the shade...

Hi all...

Here's an unproofed, unedited preview of our FAB EFFECTS review to be published in the June 2005 issue of GUITAR PLAYER.

Enjoy,

Mike

Danelectro Fab Effects

Tested By Deirdre H. Jones

All stores strategically place certain items by the cash registers to promote impulse buys. In most music stores, those goodies are typically limited to picks and string winders. Were certainly not used to seeing effects pedals set up in a display to be snatched up on the way out the door like so many chocolate bars. But this could be the marketing masterstroke for Danelectros new Fab Effects. The pedals are bright and shiny like new toys, and, at an unbelievable list price of $19 each (with a street price of around $15), you can grab the entire collection on the way to practice, and still have money left over to spot your drummer for pizza. Neatly housed in sci-fi inspired plastic casings, and featuring rubber skid plates, the three Fab pedals pay homage to classic buzz boxes. The sonic quality certainly implies vintage toneminus the sticker shock and endless searches on craigslist.comand while each pedal produces audible hiss, they arent significantly noisier than their pricier relatives. In addition, the pedals are very adept at translating subtleand not-so-subtlevariations in timbre as you switch pickups or fool with your guitars tone controls.

Fab Overdrive

The platinum-hued Overdrive offers a decent approximation of the classic Tube Screamers midrange punch, and it beautifully riles up an amps distortion channel with increased sustain and complex harmonics. Even better, single notes still punch out clearly. When I switched to the clean channel, the Overdrive added some nice frizz around the edges, and the O. D. (Overdrive) knob allowed me to dial in some raw force without sacrificing clarity.

Fab Distortion

The race car red Distortion is fabulously fat and warm sounding, and its versatile Dist (Distortion) control can produce everything from a little hair (perfect for more aggro rockabilly cats) to classic-rock crunch to 90s grunge. You sure get a nice palette of distortion tones for 15 or so bucks!

Fab Metal

The folks at Danelectro obviously know that you can never get enough metal in your diet. The wicked, black Metal has sonic personality to spare. Theres tons of midrange and high-frequency output available, which helps harmonics squeal and leap out of the mix with Tasmanian Devil-ish ferocity. (Channel your inner Zakk Wylde!) Detuned barre chords literally spit and splatter like nasty little boyssimilar to the raspy sheer of an original ProCo Ratand the sustain wont quit until you say so. When I plugged in my Gibson SG and set the Metals tone and gain at 12 oclock, I got a spray of venom reminiscent of 80s solid-state amps. It wasnt a natural sound, but I wouldnt want it any other way. This is a crazy-good, precious metal pedal for the money.

Archived