Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Recommend me some JAZZ to learn

Squ

I've decided I need to take in some outside influence in my guitar playing, and I really like a lot of JAZZ guitar I've heard. There are a bunch of phrases with sweet notes, like single notes that make the phrase just sound so much classier and awesome.

For a good example of what I want to learn, check out "Frank Gambale" here: http://www.f-p-e.com/media2.php?id=2

I'd also recommend checking out "John 5 #2," who'd thunk he'd be so versitile?

Thanks in advance.

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Depends on your interest of course but I'd suggest two things.

First step back & take an overview of jazz history, noting the stylistic eras & development. There's lots of great older music & this can help to hear what led to what.

Older era guitarists like Lonnie Johnson, Eddie Lang (a personal favorite & one of the fleetest players you'll ever hear), Carl Cress, Dick McDonough (all largely forgotten now) & later players like Barney Kessel & Tal Farlow made some tremendous records that are revelatory insofar as different approaches to playing techniques (Farlow, for instance, way predates modern tapping).

Second, copping licks (or better, ideas) from musicians other than guitarists can put you in a different place than copying what other guitarists are already doing.

Rob Lawrence (collector and historian) was given Eddie Lang'ss jazz box after he passed away...

Method books, tons at The Colony at 49th and Broadway (the Brill Building) NYC.

Call them, get one that has tablature, melody, chord, and comping versions to some standards like, Misty etc.

That's weeks and week's worth of practice right there.

R

Label on the reverb, inside 1973 Ampeg G-212: "Folded Line Reverberation Unit" Manufactured by beautiful girls in Milton WIS. under controlled atmosphere conditions.

Archived