Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

big problem!! allergic for nickel!!!

wietse

are there guitarist here who have the same problem?

i'm asking this in behalf of a guy from the dutch guitarforum who has this problem.

nickelfree strings are no problem , but all the hardware on his guitar contains also nickel , bridge , tailpiece and frets.

he plays on a epiphone LP standard plus ,who knows something to help this guy , guitar playing is his live and he won't quit it , but always a rash and a painfull one because of it is no fun.

and he'l have to if this continues.

so anybody here who knows a solution for this problem?

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

chrome won't help because chrome is part nickel goldplated or black would help yes.

and you can buy nickefree strings that he found out himself.

stainless steel contains also some nickel i'm told .

and his allergy is quite severe ,if he touches his head after playing he get's a rash on his head too.

the frets are the biggest problem , i once had a old guitar with brass frets , could be a solution but i don't know if they stil make brass fretwire.

Electric guitar strings are pretty nearly all wound with nickel alloys (including stainless steel.) If he is so sensitive as to break out from his fingertips touching them, he may have to stick with the brass or bronze wound acoustic strings.
"A cheerful heart is good medicine."

There must be some Gibson style tuning machines with the plastic/bakelite/keystone jobbies for sale on ebay as well - like these, for instance.

If push came to shove, he might think about getting a fretless guitar.

Not much nickel on this Godin "glissentar" - it's not quite a Les Paul, though, is it?

They also make a fretless nylon guitar; here\'s the link.

Once again, not the sort of thing you're going to be playing Pantera riffs on, but better than a rash.

Archived