Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

OMG - good 335 clone @ $129

bluesswing

Sad to say, I must send it back. It's got a crack in the side of the neck down by the heel, and the neck pickup has very very very low output- so much that at first I thought it didn't work.

Too bad, too, because it actually sounds better than i thought it would. I only plugged it in once and hit one chord, but the bridge pickup through the Goblin sounded awesome. I hope that's the rule and not the exception with these $120 guitars ;)

Musician's Friend was a joy to work with though. 10 minute call and I had an RMA to send back for an exchange. No haggling, no muss, no fuss.

I used to live 30 min from their Medford showroom and that was definately not the case. Also, i heard that Guitar Center bought them out, and when they did that they canned every single person in the showroom and brought in their own crew. That's cold.

Dr. Seuss: The Original White Rapper

WWND?

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I got one a couple of weeks ago. It seems like people getting teh latest batch have have good luck.

I got a Blueburst. It looks great and is easily worth much more than $129.

Mine was missing the cap that covers teh gear in teh tuning machine on the high A. A quick call to OS corporate office and they are sending out a new machine. I'll change the strings to 11's when it arrives.

Very good deal. I would like to try the OE40.

TB

• 2 weeks later...

I got the replacement back and i'm diggin it thusfar!

It actually has a nice clean sound, and the neck is comfortable to play. Factory-installed strings are a bit stiff, but they're getting changed out soon. Can't decide whether to put roundwounds or flatwounds on it.

Kinda too bad there are no access covers anywhere on it. I would be tempted to grab another one of these and fit it with soapbars.

I really dig the way it drives my Goblin amp in dirt mode. I don't know if it's just got lots of output, or if it just accentuates the right frequencies, but it produces a really good saturation- better than my Ibanez RG or Strat! Just a tubescreamer alone sounds like real distortion instead of just a light overdrive. :eek:

I just *love* how you can turn anything into instant, easy, guaranteed feedback even at bedroom levels. No wonder Ted Nugent and Alvin Lee dug semi-hollow electrics. :D

Thanks again for the pointer!

Dr. Seuss: The Original White Rapper

WWND?

I ordered mine today, based on these comments, and other reviews. I got the Cherry...should be here next week. Seems like there could be quality issues, but you can keep returning until you get a good one. Funny, Musician's Friend had it listed for $149, but Amazon had it for $129, listing Musician's Friend as the actual seller.

_ ______ _

Ravin Dave

Originally posted by phaeton:

I got the replacement back and i'm diggin it thusfar!

It actually has a nice clean sound, and the neck is comfortable to play. Factory-installed strings are a bit stiff, but they're getting changed out soon. Can't decide whether to put roundwounds or flatwounds on it.

Kinda too bad there are no access covers anywhere on it. I would be tempted to grab another one of these and fit it with soapbars.

I really dig the way it drives my Goblin amp in dirt mode. I don't know if it's just got lots of output, or if it just accentuates the right frequencies, but it produces a really good saturation- better than my Ibanez RG or Strat! Just a tubescreamer alone sounds like real distortion instead of just a light overdrive. :eek:

I just *love* how you can turn anything into instant, easy, guaranteed feedback even at bedroom levels. No wonder Ted Nugent and Alvin Lee dug semi-hollow electrics. :D

Thanks again for the pointer!

Great that it worked out fine for you! I have round wound D'addario 12s on mine and they really feel like 11s b/c the action is superbly low. You need to work through the f-holes for changing pots etc, it really was not that difficult on my other hollow body...

Originally posted by TB-AV:

I got one a couple of weeks ago. It seems like people getting teh latest batch have have good luck.

I got a Blueburst. It looks great and is easily worth much more than $129.

Mine was missing the cap that covers teh gear in teh tuning machine on the high A. A quick call to OS corporate office and they are sending out a new machine. I'll change the strings to 11's when it arrives.

Very good deal. I would like to try the OE40.

TB

I have read good things about OE40, one reviewer at HC told me that he got his at $129 or so by calling to MF, I called too and they had been on special sale just for one week in Jan or early Feb, no any more.

OK, my cherry flavored OE30 Delta King arrived a few hours ago. It's now out of the box, tuned, and plugged in. No problems with this one. It's got great sounds. Running through my Marshall twin. Easier to play than my smaller-necked Strat from Mexico. So far very happy with it. Thanks for the tip!

_ ______ _

Ravin Dave

Hey RavinDave,

Good for you and great to know yr OE30 feels good so far!! And sorry I did not notice your earlier reply. Yeah, this is a good guitar, what kind of styles do you play? Does a Marshall twin mean heavier stuff?

BS (better actually B&S) LOL

Hey B&S,

I bought that amp back in '89. Didn't really know what I wanted, just something bigger than what I had. The guy at the store was showing me this 50W Marshall Twin combo amp. I paid something like $400. They called me up later and said it was mistake that the guy who sold it to me quoted the wrong price. But they let me keep it. Anyway, this guitar sound great through this amp either clean or dirty, and I like playing both, depending on what kind of day its been! :P

_ ______ _

Ravin Dave

Archived