Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Moving air in the Home Studio

alanfc

hey everyone, question :

regarding speaker movement, "excursion", "moving air"

a) is the distance from the mic the key- that is, distance for waves to form?

b)Or is the speaker pumpin going to be captured if I remove the grillcloth and get right close.

I mean which of these will capture the sound of the "movin air" ?. My guess is the first, mic further away. Trouble is, is that the further I move the mic away in this iso-cab, the more nasal it sounds, I assume from more sounds bouncing around even though I have it dampened quite alot.

unfortunately I'm limited to homemade iso-box thing..

my iso-box situation is due to my recording studio (apartment bedroom) and neighbors.

I can get the Rivera up to power tube cook in that iso-box (using an extension 1x12 with an Eminence V30 clone in the box)..I have about 4-5 extra inches to pull back from the grill if further back is better.

But outside of that thing the volume would be a major problem. Not good for my neighbor situation. A good attenuator is not in my budget right now...

thanks

Rivera + Fender Strat

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Originally posted by alanfc:

hey everyone, question :

regarding speaker movement, "excursion", "moving air"

a) is the distance from the mic the key- that is, distance for waves to form?

b)Or is the speaker pumpin going to be captured if I remove the grillcloth and get right close.

I mean which of these will capture the sound of the "movin air" ?. My guess is the first, mic further away. Trouble is, is that the further I move the mic away in this iso-cab, the more nasal it sounds, I assume from more sounds bouncing around even though I have it dampened quite alot.

unfortunately I'm limited to homemade iso-box thing..

my iso-box situation is due to my recording studio (apartment bedroom) and neighbors.

I can get the Rivera up to power tube cook in that iso-box (using an extension 1x12 with an Eminence V30 clone in the box)..I have about 4-5 extra inches to pull back from the grill if further back is better.

But outside of that thing the volume would be a major problem. Not good for my neighbor situation. A good attenuator is not in my budget right now...

thanks

Hmmm. My guess is that within that iso-box, you've got a boatload of goofy resonances and cancellations. Backing the mic away would be cool if you had a nice sounding room to work in. But, in that box, I'd get the mic as close to the speaker as you can and experiment pointing at different areas of the cone. That should help minimize any of the box induced frequency combing (that nasal sound). That would be my approach.

OK thanks guys

indeed I've enjoyed the placement testing I've done over the last few months, how I found that every centimeter counts! I had a project in my DAW just for mic placement with about 50+ positions. For my speaker I've found a couple ideal positions,

however,

I keep reading about "moving air" and mic'ing cabs in a =room=. I can't do it in a room. My iso-cab is my only option.

I just feel like I'm missing out, so this is why I ask.

In an Iso-cab, is this goal of 'moving' air an impossiblity?. I mean in the classic sense, really =MOVING AIR DUDE YEAH OW= kind of assault on the mic. Perhaps this is just physics and I can look it up there. The behavior air around a sound source?

thanks

Rivera + Fender Strat

Oh...I thought you meant "passing wind"... ;)

...which I've done in my studio...

...but luckily, I have my cats to blame it on! :D

Really moving speakersmoving air

is not going to happen very noticeably unless you have some serious low-end pumping through them.

I dont think the average electric guitar tones will always be enough to do that.

miroslav - miroslavmusic.com

"Just because it happened to you, it doesn't mean it's important."

Most iso boxes that I have tried sound like crap.

No iso box that I have tried sounds like a guitar cabinet.

Most iso boxes that I have tried have too little volume. (cubic feet of air.)

If I was to design one, It would be stuffed with a whole lot of OC 705 or similar material to dampen the air and make the cab seem physically 'larger' to the speaker. It would be rather large, too.

I don't like the sound of a mic that is too close to the speaker, because sound comes from the whole speaker, not just one part of the speaker. But in the situation that you describe, moving the mic back away from the speaker allows the sound reflecting from the walls of your iso box to cause phase cancellations.

Bill

"I believe that entertainment can aspire to be art, and can become art, but if you set out to make art you're an idiot."

Steve Martin

Show business: we're all here because we're not all there.

Archived