Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Bands you probably haven't heard of but should

Shannon

Here are two suggestions:

The Iguanas - This band should appeal to anyone who likes Los Lobos (another grossly underappreciated band). Like "The Wolves," the Iguanas play a mixture of musical styles (e.g., rock, blues, Latin, R&B, country). Unfortunately, their two best CDs, their self-titled debut and "Nuevo Boogaloo", are out of print, but the rest of their catalog is well worth a listen, too. http://www.iguanas.com/

The Paladins - They're sort of like a greasier, trashier Stevie Ray Vaughan with a rockabilly twist. My favorite discs of theirs are "Years Since Yesterday" and "Let's Buzz!" http://www.rockabilly.net/paladins/

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Wayne Krantz ~ www.waynekrantz.com

Kelly Joe Phelps ~ www.kellyjoephelps.net

Phaser ~ www.phasermusic.com

Sigur Ros ~ www.sigur-ros.co.uk

Martin Sexton ~ www.martinsexton.com

Soulive ~ www.soulive.com

Jim Campilogo ~ www.jimcampilongo.com

Redd Volkaert ~ www.reddvolkaert.net

Aimee Mann ~ www.aimeemann.com

Chris Whitley ~ www.chriswhitley.com

Wilco ~ www.wilcoworld.net

Jacob Fred Jazz Odyssey ~ www.jfjo.com/

that should keep someone busy for a minute :D

Just a few I like for now:

actual time - if you like odd time signatures, tight metal riffing a la Pantera and Meshuggah, and wicked drum work, check them out.

Chris Poland - while living somewhere in New York, and before his time with Megadeth, Chris played some serious jazz fusion. These days, he does just that, with a more mature, but still spirited sensibility.

The Fabulous Wailers - a little known early rock and roll group that influenced the likes of George Harrison, and Keith Richards.

Kevin Gallagher - modern classical guitarist that plays both electric and acoustic nylon stringed guitars, sometimes with effects and a guitar synth.

Dillinger Escape Plan - 'controlled chaos' at its finest. These guys have serious technical chops, but the noisy quality means you can mosh till you die, regardless. Their live shows also feature a bit of 'home-brewed' pyrotechnics after certain songs, from what I've seen in videos. :D

The Vanduras are abosolutely my favorite listen, right now... overtook Johnny A!!!

The Vanduras

Guitar/Lap Steel guitar instrumentals in the surf-noir genre with hauntingly beautiful melodies that are so simple that it's scary ..Give me a 40 watt Fender Amp with some reverb and a splash of vibrato and a clean fender guitar and I'm in heaven..

If your a guitar player you can't not like the Vanduras...IMHO

Eva Cassidy has one of the most priestene soprano voices that I've ever heard.

Eva Cassidy

Best URL I could come up with to check out some clips of her..Listening to her is a truely emotional experience and her guitar work is pretty sweet too.

Here's a review that somewhat sums it up for her:

Most of these reviews are glowing and that's because Eva had "it." One thing you might notice as you read the reviews is that most people were doing whatever and had to stop because they were so captured by the voice they were hearing. Some people even say that they had to pull over in their cars because it affected them so. Now, some claim it's because Eva has passed away that we're so appreciative of her however, most of us had no idea who the singer was or if she were alive or not the first time we heard her. For example, my husband is a metal fan and when I first put in Songbird, he had no idea who it was or her history. Imagine a rather large 290 lb die hard metal head crying to Fields of Gold. To this day, he just can't hear some of her songs with misting up. When I visited my Dad and lent him Live at Blues Alley, he kept it! *****Eva is the real deal*****

I'm still checking out some of the other artist listed in this thread but I'm digging Los Straitjackets and Kelly Joe Phelps so far.

Haven't been here in awhile..good to see this forum alive and kickin'!!!!

Chris Poland - while living somewhere in New York, and before his time with Megadeth, Chris played some serious jazz fusion. These days, he does just that, with a more mature, but still spirited sensibility.
And before THAT, he worked at Brooks Memorial Hospital, in Dunkirk (nowhere in NY), NY with my brother. I replaced him when he went to the world of music.

Mikegug

www.facebook.com/theresistancemusic

Looks like 90% of my CD/Record collection can be added to this thread. Here's some important ones.

Dismemberment Plan

Medications/Faraquet

Don Cabellero

Hot Snakes

Dillinger Escape Plan

Ted Leo and the Pharmacists

We Versus The Shark

Cinemechanica

Mission Of Burma

Q And Not U

Hella

The Minutemen