Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

My latest find

PBBPaul

Every now and then I hang around EBay and bid on things that look interesting. If I don't need it (and let's face it, I really don't need much more stuff), I bid really low and see what happens. Most of the time I get out-bid quickly and that's just fine. But occasionally I get lucky and get a gem for very low cost. Look what I won for $40.00!

http://i17.ebayimg.com/02/i/02/ab/6f/af_1_b.JPG

It's a (I'm guessing) late '60s Bogen 50-watt PA Head. Basically a two-channel all-tube, hand-wired point-to-point amp. The seller wasn't sure if it worked or not so I was taking a chance. But I got it, put some fresh tubes in it, replaced the screw on mic connectors with 1/4" jacks, used up about a half a can of electrical contact cleaner on the pots and switches and voila! This thing sounds fantastic! With everything fully dimed, I get just a slight hum. That's with the chassis out of the case and no shielding at all. This is gonna be a fun project. Now I have to ask Myles for some tube recommendations. I'm thinking of building a combo around it.

• Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Originally posted by PBBPaul:

... With everything fully dimed, I get just a slight hum.

Probably a couple of dried caps.

Bill

"I believe that entertainment can aspire to be art, and can become art, but if you set out to make art you're an idiot."

Steve Martin

Show business: we're all here because we're not all there.

Archived