Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

So tell me about some cool gut string guitars?!

DC

You know you've picked one up in your life. They're usually lighter than hell and so responsive and resonant. Low action and great tone.

So just how much do you have to spend to get a descent classical? This is a big hole in my guitar collection and the tones I can record.

Are any of the cheaper ones worth a sh*t? Like the epiphone Chet Adkins or the Ovation shallow bowl that sells for just over four bills?

Can I get a witness?!

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Can't really say, 'Fang. I have my mom's Granados jumbo classical. Never heard of the company before or since, but it is a beautiful mid-price guitar. I believe it cost them close to $650 in the mid 1970's. Striking Rosewood back and sides. 2" neck sweet.

I've played a bunch of the Taylor classical guitars and, to tell the truth, I've been surprisingly underwhelmed.

Poor action, lots of string buzz. And even those that don't exhibit much of these issues still sound very weak.

I'll bet you can find a decent one, for now, for less than $500. But I'm guessing you won't find a great one for less than $1500 - $2000.

I love the sound of nylon strings. For some songs there simply is no substitute.

It's easiest to find me on Facebook. Neil Bergman

Soundclick

fntstcsnd

Neil, don't call me Fang just cause he stole my avatar... ;) My name is David.

Strange you should bring up Taylor cause I just saw a video of Susan Werner (http://www.susanwerner.com/)

and that's what she was playing and it was a swheeeet sounding guitar.

I've got a 1978 Epiphone classical that I bought new when I was young. It's got a ceder top, rosewood back and sides and sounds pretty good but doesn't play all that well.

I'm really interested in one of those gut string guitars that have a wide neck, super low action and just play themselves and scream with resonant tone.

Posted by DC:

I'm really interested in one of those gut string guitars that have a wide neck, super low action and just play themselves and scream with resonant tone.

Aren't we all, my friend, aren't we all.........

"When the power of love overcomes the love of power the World will know Peace": Jimi Hendrix

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=738517&content=music

The Geoff - blame Caevan!!!

i've just bought a classical to.. as you said.. fill that gap in my collection. (and yes fantasticsound, i am trying to record a good moonlight sonata on it.. )I tried all in the shop, but boy they can sound terrible if your not willing to spend some cash. Most were dead and all mid to bass range only. The one i got was nearly 300 pound (on finance :D ) and it sounds fuller and nicer as long as you are fretting perfectly, but it is still susseptible to fret buzz in a quite unforgiving way. As for the action.. well i doubt that'll improve any below £800!!

you'll hear it soon on the music thread if your interested with a 'nothing else matters' i knocked up the night before last! Judge for yourselves how it sounds. ;)

Originally posted by DC:

Neil, don't call me Fang just cause he stole my avatar... ;) My name is David.

Strange you should bring up Taylor cause I just saw a video of Susan Werner (http://www.susanwerner.com/)

and that's what she was playing and it was a swheeeet sounding guitar...

Sorry, David! I went to reply and saw the avatar, but didn't see whose name was beside it.

:o My bad.

As to Taylor, I have to mention I was very excited when I first learned they would try their hand at classical guitars. I received the first volume of Taylor's Windham Hill series, Sounds Of Wood & Steel. The whole album is stellar. It contains a cut by Steve Stevens (of Billy Idol fame) who had decided to stop playing electric guitar professionally and concentrate on Flamenco. They had given him a prototype to use, long before the production guitars were released. He and the guitar are incredible on that CD.

So when I finally had a chance to play a few Taylor classical guitars and they were, to be honest, weak, I was very disappointed.

It's easiest to find me on Facebook. Neil Bergman

Soundclick

fntstcsnd

Archived