Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Shorter scale neck for a Strat?

PBBPaul

Is there a way to replace the neck on a Strat to make it closer to a 24.5" scale"

Does anybody make a shorter scale neck?

Has anybody done this?

It looks like I may be doing some promo work soon that will require me to perform with a particular Strat with a particular paint job. The guitar will end up being mine so I can do with it what I like. I've never been comfortable with the scale length though and would like this series of gigs to come out well.

Otherwise I could just suck it up and practice playing on my current Strat but I'm lazy.

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It won't sound NEARLY as Strat-like. That is one of the major components of the Fender sound, a huge part of it. It makes different overtones predominate - especially durring the attack transient. Read about this - and check out graphs! - from a study conducted by Ralph Novak and Bill Bartolini on the Novax website:

http://www.novaxguitars.com/Pages/frame_TechInfo.html

I took my American Deluxe and put a 24 3/4 scale neck on it from Warmoth. I didn't look at the link that Doug put up because my stupid connection is sooo slow, but that might be where he sent you. Not only is the scale different but you can get their compound radius which also makes for easier playing. The neck took a while to get but it is truly beautiful. Paduack wood or something like that anyway it's reddish in color and plays like a dream. As for the sound you might notice that it's not quite as bell like as the original Fender neck. I didn't notice a huge difference but there must be some. I've heard it from alot of people but I LOVE mine.
All my stuff is here: www.timothychipman.com

Originally posted by greenboy:

It won't sound NEARLY as Strat-like.

That's OK with me. I already have a Strat for getting the sound but am most at home with my PRS necks. Chances are this guitar (assuming this all comes to fruition) will end up with new pickups, tuners and bridge as well. The key is that it will be finished with a very famous logo on it that will need to be displayed prominently during some promo gigs and photo ops.

Just for-what-it's-worth...

The difference on the overall scale-length isn't the only thing that makes for a different voice when using a conversion neck like this; the location of the string's harmonic "nodes" relative to the pickups will be changed, as well.

You know- like how the 2nd octave-up harmonic that has its node at the place where a 24th-fret would be, directly over the neck-pickup on a stock strat? It will now be found to be somewhere in-between the neck- and middle-pickups.

But if you want a fatter, rounder, fuller sound with more mids from a Strat, not to mention lighter tension in the strings (.011"-.050" string-sets feel groovacious on a 24&3/4" scale), it's a great way to go.

Ask yourself- What Would Ren and Stimpy Do?

~ Caevan James-Michael Miller-O'Shite ~

_ ___ _ Leprechaun, Esquire _ ___ _

Hmmm, you're basically going to build a guitar (new neck, new pickups, etc.) but you're also going to use a "very famous logo to be prominently displayed" in PR material?

What's the plan here? Unless it's self-promotion, what "very famous logo" are you planning to use on this guitar?

It's a beer brand and in exchange for them giving me the guitar, I'll be expected to do some promo stuff with it, including some gigs (paid, but I'll have to play the guitar). The thing is, I'm not a Strat guy and these gigs could be large events where I'd like to perform at my best. So if I could keep the body and basically build a new guitar around it to my specs, I think it would be a cool thing.

Archived