Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

hammond power help

I picked up a Hammond A-122 organ today for free from a church around the block from me. The only problem is the power cord is not there. I have a group of three wires (+,-,ground?) on the back grouped together, as well as some thinner, what appear to be speaker wires. Anyone have any idea what wires might be what??? they are blue, grey and yellow.

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Wow, mreiner !! Congratulations on becoming the "custodian" of this good ol' Hammond A-122!! Gift! You can use any decent extension cord as a power cord for it. Just slip the female end over the 2-pronged AC plug that's mounted on the amp (on the right side of the floor, at the back of the organ). Offhand, I can't tell you exactly what the miscellaneous wires you describe are for. Quite likely, at one time they were to hook this sweetheart up to a Leslie organ speaker, or a Hammond "tone cabinet". But since it has its own built-in speaker system and amp, you don't "need" this, for now. Tape up their bare ends, without touching them together, so you don't risk an accidental short-circuit. Then go ahead, and see if she fires up. :) :eek: :D

Score! Congrats on the find...as for the loose wiring, if you could post some pics that would be helpful, would be easier to see where the wires are going, then I'd be able to tell you what they go to. A-1xx are some of my fave boxes...a friend of mine got an A-102 for practically nothing. It was a '65, last year the 102 was made, and had the round gold busbars that tarnish easily. I had to do a busbar cleaning on it....Pepsodent toothpaste to scrub, denatured alcohol to finish. http://theb3nut.tripod.com/fifi.html has a couple pics of that afternoon's organic festivities...top is clean vs. tarnished busbar, bottom is yours truly resoldering the manual wiring harness back in. TP

---

Todd A. Phipps

"...no, I'm not a Hammondoholic...I can stop anytime..."

http://www.facebook.com/b3nut ** http://www.blueolives.com

Ouch. An amp huh? Well now i know why the price was what it was. There's no amp. I can see where it should be. I really don't know too much about organs, so when I was asked if I wanted it, I said yes having recognized the name. Any ideas what I could do now? I have a couple extra guitar amps and maybe a rack amp laying around. Wiring ideas? I'll get pics up tomorrow when I get batteries for the camera. Thanks for your help.

Many of them did have built-in speakers. But, the extra wires may be for the slow and high speed switch control for an external Leslie. I recalled it being a larger single connector since you do need to send the audio, too. There are a number of resources on the web. Make sure you post in the [b]Keyboard Forum[/b].

Archived