Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

What makes a GOOD musican.

Big Red 67

There are a number of characteristics I attribute to a good musician and they likely have more to do with the foundation of ones soul and interaction with community.

A good musician listens. Listens to themselves and those around them to learn and teach without the need to complicate the issue with words. (I'm being metaphoric not literal)

A good musician is poised to become anything. No greater loss than lost potential. To be aware of your abilities and lack there of to comfortably permit your acceptance into a learning or teaching environment. It's honesty basically. When you know who you are you have fewer fears and hangups about playing with others and this is where music is best exercised, together with other musicians.

Regardless of what I hear other's say about my playing I've been crippled with fear all of my life. It's frustrating and very embarrassing. :(

I still think guitars are like shoes, but louder.

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think that a great musician is someone who project there emotions in a performance. I don't think technical prowess is the necessary element. Having the technical abilities to play what you feel is very important, but I dont think you have to be versitile to be considered a great musician.I think having good rhythm is maybe as vital to the mix as anything, certainly more important than any knowledge of music theory. If learning alot of theory and learning many different styles helps you to become a better musician that is all good. But someone like a Robert Johnson basicly does one thing but just does it so well. I think musicians sometimes get locked up to much in "chops" and miss the emotional content of what they are playing.

All that being said I spend my time trying to improve my chops so that I can convey whatever emotion I need for any given situation.

Originally posted by A String:

The stance.

is that you baby's little paw ? Boy I miss that age-

anyway , I agree that its Heart, patience, and flexibilty. Plus for me its awareness of what everyone around me is playing and doing, like Gretzky, Magic Johnson, Bobby Orr... etc

Rivera + Fender Strat

Originally posted by A String:

The stance.

A STRING - is that your baby's little paw ? Boy I miss that age-

anyway , I agree that its Heart, patience, and flexibilty. Plus for me its awareness of what everyone around me is playing and doing, like Gretzky, Magic Johnson, Bobby Orr... etc

Rivera + Fender Strat

Originally posted by   :

A good pizza delivery route.

That helps, if you want to eat on a regular basis. If not, you can be a true *arteest* and suffer :rolleyes:

Phillip,

Time. A great player has great time and "groove". I don't care how many notes per second you can play and how impressive your technique is if you can't play in time.
Herbie Hancock (webe123),

"remember, it is just as important to know WHEN NOT TO PLAY as it is to know WHEN TO PLAY!"
These two seem all too often ignored, or at least considered of little importance, by musicians; to their own detriment.
Gotta' geetar... got the amp. There must be SOMEthing else I... "need".

Archived