Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

plug-in pickups

hard truth

Wouldn't it be great if there was a standard for guitar pickups that allowed you to simply plug in a different pickup? Dan Armstrong guitars (the acrylac ones) in the seventies had this feature, but it didn't catch on. Perhaps manufacturers are afraid that if customers could easily change their pickups they wouldn't buy as many guitars.

What do you think? Any guitar makers out there with thoughts?

And while i'm at it-why after all these years why do we still have to suffer from the extra noise and limited cable lengths of high-impedance unblanced cables.? Wouldn't life be better for all of us if we could plug XLR cables into our guitars and amps?

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

i don't think its too expensive. it looks like they use some top quality stuff in the guitars.

what i would like to see is pickup maufacturers supply shops with on of these guitars with many modules of thier pickups so if you are shopping for a pickup you can compare them more accurately.

It hasn't caught on because nobody really wants this. Yes, there are such options available for those who do feel that such a feature is useful. You can buy one if you want one. But the vast majority buy a guitar looking for either a signature sound or a particular sound. Just as the world is not dumping their guitars to buy the Line6 guitar. As cool as it is (and if I was gigging regularly, I'd surely own one) it answers a different set of desires than what the vast majority wants.

Bill

"I believe that entertainment can aspire to be art, and can become art, but if you set out to make art you're an idiot."

Steve Martin

Show business: we're all here because we're not all there.

People have tried to make this work for decades. In the past, the cost of various pickups plus the difficulty of changing modules tanked most designs.

Gibson sold a Les Paul to pickup dealers with plug in modules. I was in Melbourne, Fl in Feb, 2002 and almost bought the display with several pickups from a mom-'n-pop store that wanted to get rid of it. Though it was very tempting to have access to 490N, 498T, Ceramic magnet and P-90's, it was obvious I would have had to rig something up to ensure the modules stayed in and worked well. They wanted too much money, for me, anyway. It sounded pretty good, though, with P-90's. ;)

It's easiest to find me on Facebook. Neil Bergman

Soundclick

fntstcsnd

Almost forgot! I knew a player here in Nashville who wired two separate pickguards with different pickups for his favorite Strat. He intended to put spade connectors on the leads, but all the time I ran into him regularly (when I worked at MARS), he was still using wire-nuts to make the connections. :D

The guitar played and sounded wonderful. But you had to unscrew the pickguard to change from one to the other. I'm pretty sure he only attached it with 4 or 5 screws.

It's easiest to find me on Facebook. Neil Bergman

Soundclick

fntstcsnd

Archived