Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Any disadvantages with Neck-Thru body guitars?

alanfc

RE: Why I shouldn't worry about Neck-Thru vs. Bolt-on

I'm still looking for my ultimate axe, and have been only looking at neck-thru body models.

Is this really necessary?

I must have 24 frets, but not a V-type shape, preferably a Strat shape.

thanks

Rivera + Fender Strat

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Other than the expense, the only real downside is a maintenance issue. If the neck gets snapped, the guitar is pretty much a write off. If it's a bolt-on or set neck, guitar, the neck can be replaced.

Other than that, it depends on whether you like the sound. Neck-throughs tend to have a brighter, smoother sound with more sustain. Not as "percussive" as bolt-on or set neck guitars.

"You never can vouch for your own consciousness." - Norman Mailer

Originally posted by Gabriel E.:

Other than the expense, the only real downside is a maintenance issue. If the neck gets snapped, the guitar is pretty much a write off. If it's a bolt-on or set neck, guitar, the neck can be replaced.

Other than that, it depends on whether you like the sound. Neck-throughs tend to have a brighter, smoother sound with more sustain. Not as "percussive" as bolt-on or set neck guitars.

thaks, this is interesting, I've never heard the point about smooth vs. percussive. If anything I'd rather have punchy and percussive, seeing as we have quite a manly drummer
Rivera + Fender Strat

wow funny you mentioned that, I just switched back to .88's from .60's a couple weeks ago, and I'm not going back. I went back to the heavier picks once I became interested in actually practicing my lead parts! :freak: Jacksons and Ibanez I think will be very hard to find hardtail models anyway.
Rivera + Fender Strat

Hi!

my last guitar was a ibanez RGT3120 necktrough.. is very comfortable on the highs, is about my 7th guitar.. and now i highly recomend necktrough over boltons!

24 frets Carvin´s looks well crafted... how well sounds? like jason becker´s one?? :thu:

Jorge Carrera... Todólogo.

http://www.angelfire.com/ri/granazul

cavj760304@icqmail.com

"RE: Why I shouldn't worry about Neck-Thru vs. Bolt-on"

Because in and of itself, it is not an issue.

A guitar is a sum of complimentary pieces. a crappy neck through body guitar verses a great bolt on? which do you want? A crappy bolt on verses a great neck through body guitar... NOW which do you want? And we haven't even touched on the glued-in neck pocket designs, like the Les Paul or 335.

The premise... neck-through designs have more sustain. On the face of it this could be true, because the bridge and the nut are attached to the same piece(s) of lumber. But as I mentioned above, there is more to it than JUST that.

Nobody with a Paul or a Strat seems to have any trouble getting enough sustain.

Bill

"I believe that entertainment can aspire to be art, and can become art, but if you set out to make art you're an idiot."

Steve Martin

Show business: we're all here because we're not all there.

Originally posted by alanfc:

I brought up the neck-thru questin because I've now turned my attention to 24 fret Carvins, and their high fret access and smooth neck-through heel. Kinda obsessed with Carvins right now. :freak: Jacksons and Ibanez I think will be very hard to find hardtail models anyway.

Carvins are great. Best deal on the market IMHO. HOWEVER, neck-through Carvins have a tendency to be VERY bright sounding. If you get one, make sure it doesn't have too much maple in the recipe. I'd go with either a Koa or Mahogony body and neck.
"You never can vouch for your own consciousness." - Norman Mailer

Archived