Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Goo Goo's "Iris" Tab Confusion.... ugh.

ricknbokkerv2.0

Jeez. What a mess.

My band is going to play "Iris" by the Goo Goo Dolls. So... I did a search for the tab, since I knew it wasn't in standard tuning. I don't read tab (yet?), but the info I found was disturbing at best, and at worst, kinda pissed me off. :D

Here's what I found out.

Apparently, there are 2 versions. One is on one of their albums, the other is on the "City of Angels" soundtrack. Not "The Crow- City of Angels", but the one with Nic Cage and Meg Ryan. This is also apparently called the "acoustic" version. Oy vey. :freak:

Now... the rest of the "info" I got from checking 7 different tabs posted online.

Tab #1- Tuning is BDDDDD. They don't mention the version.

Tab #2- Tuning is DADDAD. No version stated.

Tab #3- EADGBE. It said it was the album version.

Tab #4- DADGBD. "Acoustic" version. Supposedly.

Tab #5- EADGBE. No version named, but "Put the capo on the 2nd fret". (The person said they'd only been playing a year.)

Tab #6- Same as above, but "Put the capo on the first fret".

Tab #7- This one was such a mess, I didn't take notes.

I was also given differing info on exactly what album the "studio" version appeared. :confused:

Now, some questions.

In the case where the tuning is not 'standard' (A440), when they list chord names, does that mean play those chords as if you're still in standard tuning?

Does anyone reading this know the correct tuning? :)

Can someone tell me why I should trust tab that was written by someone that cannot spell even small words?

Thanx in advance for any help with this, kids.

Ricky

Click on some ads once in a while!! :) -------------->

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Hmm, I have that tab somewhere, the tuning on it is really weird though, on the tab I have the last 3 strings are dropped down a whole step, and the rest of the strings are dropped to a C#, I think, i got to double check, ill keep you informed when I dig it up again

Originally posted by Peemonkey:

Hmm, I have that tab somewhere, the tuning on it is really weird though, on the tab I have the last 3 strings are dropped down a whole step, and the rest of the strings are dropped to a C#, I think

So... that would be yet another tuning scenario. :eek:

I'm not sure if I should thank you or not, but... at least you can spell. :D

Thanx....

Ricky

Click on some ads once in a while!! :) -------------->

Ok, I was able to find only 1 tab on my computer for it, the tuning goes like you stated, BDDDDD for the acoustic part of it, and there is a electric part where its set on standard tuning, and regarding that other reply I made, dont pay attention to it, my memory didnt serve well haha, that tuning was for another goo goo dolls song. So yea thats all I have :cool:

Archived