Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Considering a Mahogany LP type guitar

PeeMonkey

Hey everyone, I've been considering getting a LP for awhile, and now I have the money to but, now theres the choice of brand to pick from now, I have heard many great reviews on the Agile guitars, are these reliable? and comparable to a Gibson LP? I have the money for a LP but it would be great if the quality were about the same and I can save a few hundred bucks too. So it comes down to what should I pick if im going to make this guitar probably my main guitar from now on?

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Well I would buy a pretty expensive guitar if it is going to last me throughout my music playing years, to me it would be a good investment to buy something great now and keep it for a very long time, so price is not a thing to me atm, not unless its over 1600$ then there is a problem hehe, but just looking for a great guitar to keep me playing with that great Les Paul tone, I was considering a Gibson Les Paul but still not sure atm.

Originally posted by zeronyne:

This Yamaha:

http://i6.ebayimg.com/01/i/02/2b/18/ed_12_s.JPG

Is on Ebay right now. HERE.

Damn Peemonkey...there's your answer!!!

$115 shipping from Japan...and the price might go thru the roof before it's over...but that sucker willappreciate in value if I'm any judge!

Lynn G

OK this may seem like a stupid question but if you like the les paul tone and style... and can afford a real gibson les paul... why not just get one???

It's proven that they last and you could save a few bucks by finding a nice used one.

there are plenty of great copies out there so that is a good option too.

you could go the route i went and get a Gibson Les Paul Special

It has all the same hardware but the body is solid mahogany with a flat top (no maple cap) and it has the faded finish. True it's not as pretty as a typical lp but I like the faded finish, mine is not as faded as that picture, its basically just solid flat black, which I like better really, as a workhorse guitar because i'm not concerned with damaging the finish. They sell for about $750.00. I'm extremely happy with mine, and everyone who's played it has been impressed.

I would shop around in person and at the very least decide on which guitar company and model I was going for before I bought one off the internet, but if you do get one and don't like it you could just turn around and sell it. If I were you and had the money, I would play every Gibson LP in town and every surrounding town, and get the one that fits just right. :love:

Just my opinion, good luck :cool:

If you have the money, go for the Gibson Les Paul. Nice guitar and good investment. Besides, who knows what LPs and PRSs will go for in the future? I agree with Shannon. Play every LP in sight- new and used. You'll have fun and hopefully find a real beauty!
...touched down in the land of the Delta Blues.....in the middle of the pouring rain....

Originally posted by guitar geezer:

Damn Peemonkey...there's your answer!!!

$115 shipping from Japan...and the price might go thru the roof before it's over...but that sucker willappreciate in value if I'm any judge!

geezer,

Just curious...what is it that makes this particular Yamaha LP knock-off such a desirable item...???

Is it because of it's age?

I looked at the pics...and I just don't see why this is going to really appreciate in value...or any guarantee that it even sounds good.

I guess I'm saying that it's still just a knock-off.

The real question here is does peepmonkey HAVE TO HAVE...a Gibson?

If you think only a GIbson has any real value...then just get a Gibson.

But...if you are open minded to any guitar...as long as it sounds/plays nice...and is well built...

...then there are a lot of choices out there that will cost a lot less then a Gibson LP.

Oh...as far as the Agiles...I have the 3000 Prestige...it's their top-of-the-line...

...and the quality is there...no doubt about that.

The only thing that you would want to change...and that's just a maybe(?)...is the pickups.

The Wilkinsons sound quite nice...but they are a bit mellower...not very hard edge distortion...

...but a couple of Dimarzios (or others)...would solve that real quick.

The rest of the guitar...

....fabulous...and only $350!!! :cool:

miroslav - miroslavmusic.com

"Just because it happened to you, it doesn't mean it's important."

I guess my only point was, if you have the money, why not go for the Les Paul, not because they are the only guitars with value, but because Gibsons and other like guitars ( PRS, top of the line Hamers, etc,) may be priced out of reach in a few more years. And okay, its also because if I myself had the money to spare I'd choose one. A Les Paul is a Les Paul, I've owned 4 of them in my lifetime, so there's my bias for them. Not meaning to put any other guitar down mind you.

Personally, I'd look for a mint used one in order to get more bang for the buck. But then again, I love Strats also! Decisions, decisions. :rolleyes:

...touched down in the land of the Delta Blues.....in the middle of the pouring rain....

Yeah, im just widening my options, because about 800$+ is alot of money, so far Ive cleared out about 4 shops around the area of Les Pauls, played about almost all of them, have my eye on about 5 of them, I am mainly considering the used fireburst studios or a few of the standards, but standards are kind of too high, So if i go standard ill have to wait 1 more month of work, yeah I know I have no life haha after summer school i just go to GC or Sam Ash around my house and near my school, but hey its worth it if im investing that much money into a nice guitar.

Reason I am posting this is to see if the amount of money i put in is really worth it, so far it looks worth it with a Gibson because the resale value on them are awesome, even when they are posted on ebay! But I doubt ill resell a Les Paul! O yeah another question, are all Les Pauls made in the U.S?

I kind of agree that if you really want a real Les Paul you should get that. But only if you can afford it. I have a Les Paul Custom Shop Historic model and I have never regretted buying it. It was what I wanted and I found one used in mint condition which saved me some money.

But, see my post about the Epiphone Elite guitar that I just bought. Since money was an issue at this point holding out for the real deal would have meant that I couldn't get the guitar I wanted for a long time so I was lucky to discover the quality in the Japanese made Elite series from Epiphone By Gibson. I'm completely happy with my choice. I was also considering similar Yamaha and Ibanez models but found a mint used Epiphone for a good price.

I think you might also consider PRS and Heritage. Heritage guitars are made by the former Gibson emplyees in the original Gibson Factory in Kalamazoo MI and they are exceptionally good.

but if you are like me and must have a real Les Paul then just do it, you won't regret it.

Mac Bowne

G-Clef Acoustics Ltd.

Osaka, Japan

Originally posted by Peemonkey:

Yeah, im just widening my options, because about 800$+ is alot of money, so far Ive cleared out about 4 shops around the area of Les Pauls, played about almost all of them, have my eye on about 5 of them, I am mainly considering the used fireburst studios or a few of the standards, but standards are kind of too high, So if i go standard ill have to wait 1 more month of work, yeah I know I have no life haha after summer school i just go to GC or Sam Ash around my house and near my school, but hey its worth it if im investing that much money into a nice guitar.

Reason I am posting this is to see if the amount of money i put in is really worth it, so far it looks worth it with a Gibson because the resale value on them are awesome, even when they are posted on ebay! But I doubt ill resell a Les Paul! O yeah another question, are all Les Pauls made in the U.S?

$800+ (actually more like $1800+ for a LP) is a lot of money but that's what quality costs. You CAN buy cheaper guitars that will do the job but expect some performance or cosmetic issues. High end guitars tend to hold their value and they just plain work and look better. Keep in mind that with a Gibson, you are also paying extra for the name (PRS is a better value IMHO but a PRS will NOT sound like a Gibson LP).

As far as I know, all Gibson LPs are made in the US.

Save up an extra month and then buy the LP Standard that you really want. Every time I've saved up and paid extra for the real deal, I've been happy with my decision.

"You never can vouch for your own consciousness." - Norman Mailer

I do believe Gibson LPs are manufactured in Nashville, TN. ES and chets in Memphis, TN. Gibson acoustics in Montana.

If a Gibson Les Paul has the sound you're hankering for then you probably won't be totally satisfied with anything else... even if you get a fantastic copy you'll probably always wonder man what if I had gotten a Gibson, and you'll probably end up getting one one day anyway. but then again you might find a fantastic copy and say wheew glad i didn't blow all that money on a gibson, this guitar rawks.

My personal opinion, if you want one bad enough to seriously consider shelling out all that money for it. DO IT! :D As you can tell by the rest of the converts here we sure do think they're swell :P Come join the cult with the rest of us there are meetings on saturday nights. jk :freak:

Originally posted by Gabriel E.:

You CAN buy cheaper guitars that will do the job but expect some performance or cosmetic issues. High end guitars tend to hold their value and they just plain work and look better.

Keep in mind that with a Gibson, you are also paying extra for the name...

Ahhh...I think you are being too general.

Not trying to sound like an Agile promoter ('cuz I have some other extremely nice/inexpensive guitars also)...

....but the cosmetics on my Agile 3000 would put to shame a LOT of guitars that are price 3-4 times more!!!

And the performance is on-par with many higher-end guitars.

http://www.rondomusic.net/photos/electric/al3000hsb1.jpg

As I said previously...only the Wilkinson pickups would maybe(?) not compare to what you can get from some(!) Gibson HBs...

...but, I have a pair of vintage (late 70's) Dimarzio Super Distortion HBs that I am going to replace the Wilkisnons withand that will give me that extra crunch I want.

And...the Wilkinsons (which I still really like) will go into my Oscar Schmidt (335 nock-off)...which will then bring THAT guitar up to snuff also. It is another inexpensive guitar ($150) that plays real nice and has a very good tone...I just find the stock HBs to be a bit harsh for my taste (though metal-heads would like 'em!!!)...so the Wilkinsons will take care of that.

I also have a couple of real nice Ibanez Artcore guitars that cost less the $400 but play real nice, sound real sweetand cosmeticallyare mint!

My AG-85, covered in red-stained Bubinga woodis just beautiful!

You can see it herebut their pictures dont do it justicein real-lifeits a gorgeous guitar!

http://www.ibanez.com/guitars/guitar.asp?model=AG85

Oh...and as you pointed out...with the Gibsons...about 50% of the price tag is the name...

...so don't assume that higher price = better quality.

I don't know...I just never had a real deep need/desire to have a Gibson LP...???

I always felt they were over-rated, over-priced...

...many had some real uncomfortable, almost unplayable necksand

everyone else had one. Hate playing follow-the-leader-keep-up-with-the-Jones

And it really isn't a money issue for me...but, if I was going to spend $2K on a guitar...it would not be a Gibson LP.

That said...a lot of them also do play very nice and have good tones.

miroslav - miroslavmusic.com

"Just because it happened to you, it doesn't mean it's important."

Originally posted by miroslav:

Originally posted by Gabriel E.:

You CAN buy cheaper guitars that will do the job but expect some performance or cosmetic issues. High end guitars tend to hold their value and they just plain work and look better.

Keep in mind that with a Gibson, you are also paying extra for the name...

Ahhh...I think you are being too general.

Not trying to sound like an Agile promoter ('cuz I have some other extremely nice/inexpensive guitars also)...

....but the cosmetics on my Agile 3000 would put to shame a LOT of guitars that are price 3-4 times more!!!

And the performance is on-par with many higher-end guitars.

http://www.rondomusic.net/photos/electric/al3000hsb1.jpg

As I said previously...only the Wilkinson pickups would maybe(?) not compare to what you can get from some(!) Gibson HBs...

...but, I have a pair of vintage (late 70's) Dimarzio Super Distortion HBs that I am going to replace the Wilkisnons withand that will give me that extra crunch I want.

And...the Wilkinsons (which I still really like) will go into my Oscar Schmidt (335 nock-off)...which will then bring THAT guitar up to snuff also. It is another inexpensive guitar ($150) that plays real nice and has a very good tone...I just find the stock HBs to be a bit harsh for my taste (though metal-heads would like 'em!!!)...so the Wilkinsons will take care of that.

I also have a couple of real nice Ibanez Artcore guitars that cost less the $400 but play real nice, sound real sweetand cosmeticallyare mint!

My AG-85, covered in red-stained Bubinga woodis just beautiful!

You can see it herebut their pictures dont do it justicein real-lifeits a gorgeous guitar!

http://www.ibanez.com/guitars/guitar.asp?model=AG85

Oh...and as you pointed out...with the Gibsons...about 50% of the price tag is the name...

...so don't assume that higher price = better quality.

I don't know...I just never had a real deep need/desire to have a Gibson LP...???

I always felt they were over-rated, over-priced...

...many had some real uncomfortable, almost unplayable necksand

everyone else had one. Hate playing follow-the-leader-keep-up-with-the-Jones

And it really isn't a money issue for me...but, if I was going to spend $2K on a guitar...it would not be a Gibson LP.

That said...a lot of them also do play very nice and have good tones.

I'm not saying that there aren't really good guitars available for a lot less than what a Gibson LP costs (Carvin makes guitars of the same quality as PRS, Tom Anderson, etc. for less than half the price). But if someone wants the real deal, they should just get one and be done with it. Lower cost LP clones usually require some modifications before they sound and play like LPs (as did your Agile). Sure they're close but "close" isn't the same as "the same".

Those Yamaha SG 2000 and SG 3000 guitars are awesome but they don't sound like LPs (they're neck-through). A 70s/early 80s Tokai Love Rock would fit the bill but they now cost as much as a real LP.

I also agree that LPs aren't for everyone. They're heavy and a lot of people don't like the necks. But they have a very distinctive sound that is hard to replicate.

"You never can vouch for your own consciousness." - Norman Mailer

Originally posted by zeronyne:

Originally posted by skipclone 1:

here`s mine, from ESP`s line for the Japan market:

http://members.aol.com/dandee/Skip2.jpg

Wow, are those available in Japan right now?
they sure are-a fine crop of instruments, if I may say. This one is a `limited edition`, the sunburst is a little unusual.

The U.S. line is called LTD, the available color layouts are different but I think they`re basically the same guitars.

Same old surprises, brand new cliches-

Skipsounds on Soundclick:

www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandid=602491

Archived