Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Los Lonely Boys

njrocker

I heard these guys on the radio (not to mention on a pop station) not too long ago, and I have to admit I was impressed. The lead guitarist has a tone very similar to SRV, and he plays slightly Santana-ish. The song wasn't too bad either. Have you heard of these guys and what do you think?

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Originally posted by Doug Osborne:

They did a set on Austin City Limits this year, and it really stuck with me.

Yes, a little SRV and Carlos, but beatlish harmonies and a few other things lead me to believe that these guys have a shot at a very wide audience.

There have been a couple of leafs about these guys in the past.

I also hear some of the early Los Lobos in their music. Great stuff.

Our Joint

"When you come slam bang up against trouble, it never looks half as bad if you face up to it." The Duke...

I love their sound and album. To me they are at the intersection of Santana, Allman Bros, Everly Bros, and their own spin.

Henry, the lead guitarist, has a great touch and tone.

www.ruleradio.com

"Fame is like death: We will never know what it looks like until we've reached the other side. Then it will be impossible to describe and no one will believe you if you try."

- Sloane Crosley, Village Voice

I've had the CD for about 2 months, and I really like these guys.

Brothers, the vocal harmonies are very nice.

Lots of cool guitar parts, with an emphasis on melody over wanking...

Austin based, they've got lots of good people playing with them too!

Highly suggested! :thu:

guitplayer

I'm still "guitplayer"!

Check out my music if you like...

http://www.michaelsaulnier.com

Saw them on Austin CL, Leno, and elsewhere. Great sound and a talented group! BTW, anyone familiar with Indigenous? They are another very talented group with a great guitarist who is obviously influenced by SRV yet has his own style. Its so cool 'cause SRV lives on through these talented young guitarists! :thu:
...touched down in the land of the Delta Blues.....in the middle of the pouring rain....

Seen them live do a bit where during a solo they play the guitar and bass one handed(left hand fretwork) where they throw the guitars in the air and note the solos as the guitar and bass goes up and down. It was so cool to see, you gotta see them do it.

Originally posted by Randy Combs:

Seen them live do a bit where during a solo they play the guitar and bass one handed(left hand fretwork) where they throw the guitars in the air and note the solos as the guitar and bass goes up and down. It was so cool to see, you gotta see them do it.

Their CD has some special features you can access with your computer...one is a video of them doing all their stage antics like this (and a bunch more). Great stuff! You can tell they know how to work a crowd!

They just played the City Stages Festival here in Birmingham. I missed it.

:(

One of these days I'm gonna change my evil ways...

one of these days...

http://www.emotipad.com/emoticons/Band.gifhttp://www.weidenbach.net/images/storage/headbang.gif

• 1 month later...
Originally posted by billster:

I picked up their album on the positive discussion here, and I'm impressed. Two thumbs up :thu::thu: !

I don't listen to much commercial radio. Are they getting airplay? I like the singing in both spanish and english within the same song (within the same verse)

Quite a bit down here (Of course..they're from San Angelo) ;) Apparantly SONY is doing a full National promo blitz on them....Lucky Guys!
Lynn G

I picked up their album on the positive discussion here, and I'm impressed. Two thumbs up :thu::thu: !

I don't listen to much commercial radio. Are they getting airplay? I like the singing in both spanish and english within the same song (within the same verse)

Quite a bit down here (Of course..they're from San Angelo) ;) Apparantly SONY is doing a full National promo blitz on them....Lucky Guys!
Lynn G

According to Billboard, the single "Heaven" is #22 this week, #20 last week, 19 weeks on the chart, peaked at #16. The album peaked at #9 and has gone platinum (1 million units shipped).

Freakin' awesome for a texican trio playing heavily blues influenced roots rock in this pop-diva culture. Another 10-year overnight sensation!

Just when I'm about to give up on popular music, there is a glimmer of hope. :)

www.ruleradio.com

"Fame is like death: We will never know what it looks like until we've reached the other side. Then it will be impossible to describe and no one will believe you if you try."

- Sloane Crosley, Village Voice

I saw them on Austin City limits the first time thy were on and went and bought the CD the next day. The CD is very good - but it does not capture the energy of thier live performance.

I tell everybody I know how good I think these guys are.

I just heard they are coming out with a live CD - it will be interesting to see how well it presents them. I'm very impressed with their chops, vocals and stage presence. I don't normally gush over bands - but these guys are the real thing!!

One of my favorite local radio stations just put out their yearly live CD that they sell locally at Starbucks. They have Los Lonely Boys doing a really nice version of Heaven. According to this link, it should be available from the starbucks.com website soon. Check it out!

Archived