Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

BOSS DS-1 (OPINIONS)

Wes from Wpg

I'm thinking of buying a Boss DS-1. My budget it pretty tight, and I want a little more punch than I'm getting from my Digitech RP50.

I've heard some good things and bad things about this pedal, but the price is right. Everything else is a lot more expensive.

I want it mainly for blues to hard rock (AC/DC, Ozzy, GnR). It will be used with a Traynor 30 watt SS combo which has a really good clean channel. LP style guitar with HB's. I'll then use the RP50 for effects and EQ.

I'd like to know if anyone out there has one, and what they think. How well does it do that 80's/90's rock sound? I know that Satch, Vai, and Cobain use(d) it, but I don't have the rest of their gear in front of it. Will it sound decent with a basic set-up (i.e. on its own)?

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Originally posted by Wes from Winnipeg:

I'm thinking of buying a Boss DS-1. My budget it pretty tight, and I want a little more punch than I'm getting from my Digitech RP50.

I've heard some good things and bad things about this pedal, but the price is right. Everything else is a lot more expensive.

I want it mainly for blues to hard rock (AC/DC, Ozzy, GnR). It will be used with a Traynor 30 watt SS combo which has a really good clean channel. LP style guitar with HB's. I'll then use the RP50 for effects and EQ.

I'd like to know if anyone out there has one, and what they think. How well does it do that 80's/90's rock sound? I know that Satch, Vai, and Cobain use(d) it, but I don't have the rest of their gear in front of it. Will it sound decent with a basic set-up (i.e. on its own)?

Myles recommended I try one in front of my Dr. Z Maz 18. As usual, he was right and it sounds great. It's more of a blues/hard rock pedal than the saturated OD you get with a metal pedal. Overall, I still prefer my ToneBone Classic for its versatility (probably the best distortion pedal I've heard), but it's a lot more money.

I do think the DS-1 is the best bang for the buck, FWIW.

The DS-1 is the first pedal I ever owned. That was...1977? Oy vey.... :)

I really liked it. We were doing a lot of Rush back then, so I used to run it with the Boss Chorus. Not far from Lifeson's sound at the time...

Now... I prefer the Boss Super OD. Lotsa great harmonics going on... :D

Ricky

Click on some ads once in a while!! :) -------------->

The DS-1 is a nice little pedal. It's pretty easy to get some sweet tones out of it. I have a Fender Champ 30 (SS) that it sounds good with. It definitely can get that 80's/90's sound, no matter what guitar you're using, especially if it has humbuckers.

I've used the same one for 24 years. It does what I need it to do without fail. I remember being in the studio late one night after everyone had left. I laid down a solo running the guitar through the DS-1 and then straight into the board (with some EQ and reverb). The next day, no one could tell that I didn't use an amp. Now 99% of the time I run it through an amp. I do not use it as much as I used to because I really like my H&K Tubeman. But before I got the Tubeman, the DS-1 was my sound. I feel that I could travel with the DS-1 tucked into the guitar case and make out just fine (of course I don't usually do that, I usually lug around way too much gear.) I think I paid about $70.00 for mine and now they are maybe about $40.00.

Get one.

Yum, Yum! Eat em up!

DS1. I use it through a lot of stuff, and it works with a lot of stuff. It's a smoooooth distortion. Almost compressed. Works good in front of my 2203 Marshall. There are better boxes for pure boost, but if you wanna shave some ragged edges off, it does a good job. A DS-1, a delay, and a whammy bar....pretend you're Satch.

Tele :freak:

I don't like the tone I get ouot of a DS-1, but I sure like what Satch gets out of it. Vai uses two Keeley modded DS-1`s, and I have a hard time arguing with his tone too. I don't know why I can't make a DS-1 sound good to myself. I do love my Keeley modded Blues Driver. By the way, if you are using the pedal in front of your RP-50 (multi-effects unit, right?), I'd recommend using s lower output pedal. I am not sure how well the Rp-50's guts like being lammed with a higher output signal. IF you are using it instead of your RP-50, NEVER MIND...

Always remember that you are unique. Just like everyone else.

Originally posted by ricknbokkerv2.0:

The DS-1 is the first pedal I ever owned. That was...1977? Oy vey.... :)

I really liked it. We were doing a lot of Rush back then, so I used to run it with the Boss Chorus. Not far from Lifeson's sound at the time...

Now... I prefer the Boss Super OD. Lotsa great harmonics going on... :D

Ricky

same here, but '80 - '81, I still have it - the ONLY piece of gear I kept this long - and I recently "unretired" it, took it to rehearsal and subsequent gig unstead of VoodooLab Overdrive...
- due to recent cutbacks, the light at the end of the tunnel has been SWITCHED OFF

Archived