Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

2000 American Standard Strat?

jaygNY

All -

I'm looking at buying this guitar on Ebay. It is a package deal including an amp that I really want (5150 combo). The reserve on it is $1100, and I know the amp is worth approximately $600 used ($1000 new). The question I have is "Is this a good deal?". I have never bought a used guitar or a guitar that I didn't play before buying it, so Im a little jittery about it. With that said, the GAS is killing me!

In case it helps, the serial number on it is N9387854.

Last thing, this price includes cables, the amp's foot-switch, and a hardshell case.

Here's a link to the previous auction, which didn't meet the reserve: Click

Thanks!

Jason

cheap, fast, good.

Choose 2.

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If it's in great condition, $500 for an American Strat isn't bad, but his claim that the Peavey 5150 combo is a 200 watt amp is a HUGE red flag. It's a 60 watter. Also, if it's only dirty and not road scarred (can't tell from the picture), a good clean up might get you a $600 resale value, but I'm skeptical it's mint under that grime. Either he's put wheels on it, or that's a big tolex tear at the bottom. That said, a 5150 isn't a bad amp for a strat if you keep the gain down, but certainly wouldn't be my first choice.

Email him (I assume it's a him) and ask for some more photos of the guitar and ask for full disclosure of any marks, dings, etc on both units.

But all in all, I'm with you. Buying a guitar without playing it first is a gamble.

Good luck!

Whenever you find that you are on the side of the majority, it is time to reform.

Mark Twain (1835-1910)

--------------------

Reporter: "Ah, do you think you could destroy the world?" The Tick: "Ehgad I hope not. That's where I keep all my stuff!"

Oooo, also ask for a shipping quote. The combo is ~85lbs. The shipping could easily be $100 for this auction if (s)he cares enough to pack them right.

Whenever you find that you are on the side of the majority, it is time to reform.

Mark Twain (1835-1910)

--------------------

Reporter: "Ah, do you think you could destroy the world?" The Tick: "Ehgad I hope not. That's where I keep all my stuff!"

I called him on the 200 vs 60W. He claimed it was a typo. The amp does look a bit dirty, and I did notice that tear at the bottom.

Of course, for $1100 + S/H, I could almost buy a new 5150 combo and an Agile with p90s. The more I think about this deal, the less likely I am to bid...

cheap, fast, good.

Choose 2.

I didn't mean to talk you out of it. It looks like a nice guitar. But the Agiles look great too and I've heard nice things about them.

In my opinion, the 5150 combo is a decent amp, but is over priced at $1k retail. You can eBay a mint one for much less. I like them much more than it's high-gain counterparts on the market (including the Mesa Rectifier). But that's just my opinion.

Take care.

Mark Twain (1835-1910)

--------------------

You didn't talk me out of it, but you make very good points. Unfortunatly, there aren't many 5150 combos on Ebay, and my local shops don't have any new or used in stock.

I don't buy guitar equiptment very often, but when I do, I make it last forever! I don't want GAS to talk me into a bad deal...

cheap, fast, good.

Choose 2.

Archived