Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Quest for Sterling Blues Tone

Bullfrog

Hey Everyone! Is there one standard approach to establishing a baseline for great tone? Example: Start with amp and guitar settings on 5 with adjustments from there? I am running a Strat with EMGs through a Traynor YCV-40. Looking for the optimum from the full rig, but confused with the range of alternatives. Would appreciate any advice.

Thx in advance!

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

hey dude, welcome to the forum! i am from the valley.

man there are so many types of "good" tone. for one i would keep the pre gain fairly low and use the master volume. its a matter of personal taste. there are a few guys here who use EMG's so maybe they can give some input.

Try boosting the bass and mid and backing the treble way down. Set the amp's gain to the point where it's beyond breaking up and use the guitar's volume knob to clean it up or dirty it.

P.S. I went to QE HS on Robie St. Eat a donair for me!

"You never can vouch for your own consciousness." - Norman Mailer

Welcome aboard. Tone is a very subjecetive thing. What is "good" and what isn't can be different things for different people. There is the tone Albert King got, and then there is the tone that his greatest contemporary disciple, Stevie Ray Vaughn got when he wasn't emulating him. Both are wonderful, and they are way different in character.

What is "sterling blues tone" to you? Who makes a sound you'd like to make? For me, it's a two-humbucker guitar on the bridge pickup with the preamp of my Boogie pushed enough to make it sing and sustain, and a little echo or reverb to smooth it over it just a little. But I love the sound of a Strat on the neck pickup with similar amp/effect settings.

I heard a magician say it was a mistake to try to figure out how one of his fellow magicians performed a trick; the right thing is figure out how YOU can do it, even if it isn't the same way it was done originally. I believe that should be taught to a lot of guitarists after they learn enough about how to make music of any sort on the guitar.

Always remember that you are unique. Just like everyone else.

Hey Guys,Apart from the quest for the "illusive donair", Thanks for the welcome and kudos for your suggestions on tone. Its definitely gotten me closer to what I am looking for. I have a gritty but full "texas" style clean channel going and I backed off the treble and boosted the mid, went a little past midway on the bass, plus maxed the volume with a little gain passed breaking; sounds formidable to me. Liking it a lot. The test is tomorrow night's jam. Thx a lot and " you can only get real donairs in Halifax at 3 AM anytime at "The King" in Halifax! Play on!

The industry standard blues tone is Fender guitar through a tube Fender amp. If you're using a Strat, either the pickup selector switch to the neck/middle position or the bridge only position are again the standard.

Sorry to drag out a tired, old cliche: tone really does come from the player. I've seen some great blues players using what you would think is the 'wrong' gear.

my band: Mission 5

Archived