Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

How much gear is to much?

DIAMOND DUST

It's funny that some people can get so crazy about gear.

One of my favorite guitarists is Walter Trout. He's an amazing blues/rock player who made his name during a long stint in John Mayall's band.

He has an early 70's strat. It's his baby. He's played it exclusively live forever!

It has all the wear and tear that a guitar should after all that playing time. If he ever "lost" it... it would be devistating.

On the other hand you've got Eric Clapton. You probably heard about his two big auctions to raise money for his drug rehab center... one a few years ago - the latest only a week ago.

He sold LOTS of guitars including some "famous" ones... Yet, you can be sure he always has guitars available whenever he wants.

I have quite a number of guitars, and I can tell anyone who cares why I have "that" guitar... they all fit a sonic "place" and most get a decent amount of playing time.

I only have one "nostalgia" guitar left... it's my Charvel Model 4. It still plays great and sounds nice... but it's a pointy-headstock relic of the 80's and sits in its case a bit more than it should!

I've still got a number of guitars left in my "wish-list"... a 12 string Ric, thin-line nylon string... well you get the idea!

guitplayer

I'm still "guitplayer"!

Check out my music if you like...

http://www.michaelsaulnier.com

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Archived