Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Roy Buchanan

spiral light

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Back about 74 or 75, there was a tv show called Rock Concert. They recorded bans live on stage and put them on TV. I saw some great acts. One episode had the Allman Brothers(post Duane ansd Berry, unfortunately), Wet Willie, and Roy Buchannan. Roy was wearing this really hokey-looking (these days, anyway) plaid sports jacket and bell bottomed slacks.. he kinda looked like a bearded insurance salesman. But he did "Hey Joe" better than I ever heard it done, even by Hendrix. It started out kinda dullish sounding (he didn't have much of a singing voice), but as he got into his solo break, things got hot in big hurry. After a couple of minutes the band fell out, and Roy was playing all by himself, and literally ripping notes, licks and riffs out of his Tele, 100 to the bar. I was distracted by his picking hand at one point; somehow, I noticed he was playing with his pick and a finger, then it was his pick and two fingers, then three, then the pick disappeared and his fingers were a blur. Then, the pick came back out of nowhere, and he worked back down to just it. All this while he was doing Hendrixy stuff, jazzy stuff, dirty raunchy blues, you name it, and it was all coming out of his guitar so fast I was nearly hypnotized by it. he must have done six or seven minutes by himself, and it was absolutely mesmerizing. Finally the band came back in and they finished the tune. I was simply flabbergasted. It is one of two or three times in my entire life that I was just laid out flat by the sheer force of a musical genius rendering inspired music out of his instrument.

I would give a lot for a copy of that performance, just to see if it's as good as I remember. I'd bet good money it is.

Always remember that you are unique. Just like everyone else.

Originally posted by picker:

Back about 74 or 75, there was a tv show called Rock Concert. They recorded bans live on stage and put them on TV. I saw some great acts. One episode had the Allman Brothers(post Duane ansd Berry, unfortunately), Wet Willie, and Roy Buchannan. Roy was wearing this really hokey-looking (these days, anyway) plaid sports jacket and bell bottomed slacks.. he kinda looked like a bearded insurance salesman. But he did "Hey Joe" better than I ever heard it done, even by Hendrix. It started out kinda dullish sounding (he didn't have much of a singing voice), but as he got into his solo break, things got hot in big hurry. After a couple of minutes the band fell out, and Roy was playing all by himself, and literally ripping notes, licks and riffs out of his Tele, 100 to the bar. I was distracted by his picking hand at one point; somehow, I noticed he was playing with his pick and a finger, then it was his pick and two fingers, then three, then the pick disappeared and his fingers were a blur. Then, the pick came back out of nowhere, and he worked back down to just it. All this while he was doing Hendrixy stuff, jazzy stuff, dirty raunchy blues, you name it, and it was all coming out of his guitar so fast I was nearly hypnotized by it. he must have done six or seven minutes by himself, and it was absolutely mesmerizing. Finally the band came back in and they finished the tune. I was simply flabbergasted. It is one of two or three times in my entire life that I was just laid out flat by the sheer force of a musical genius rendering inspired music out of his instrument.

I would give a lot for a copy of that performance, just to see if it's as good as I remember. I'd bet good money it is.

Hmmm, I have an mp3 of Roy doing Hey Joe, sounds similar to the description you gave of it (I have no idea from whence or where it originated). Let me know if you'd be interested in it.
www.windhamhill.com - Shameless Advertising!

Was that Don Kirshner's Rock Concert? I remember that one along with the Midnight Special on Saturday nights...that had just live performances on video... very cool...sure wish that stuff would leak out to usenet or somethin' Remember Seeing Johnny Winter/Rick Deringer on their and it was classic along with many others from the 70's!!!!! Precurser to MTV for sure...

spiral light- I'd sure be interested in that mp3! Sounds like some REAL rock and guitar mastermind action!

Pleeeeeaase? Can I have it?

Ask yourself- What Would Ren and Stimpy Do?

~ Caevan James-Michael Miller-O'Shite ~

_ ___ _ Leprechaun, Esquire _ ___ _

Originally posted by Caevan O'Shite:

spiral light- I'd sure be interested in that mp3! Sounds like some REAL rock and guitar mastermind action!

You won't be disapointed! I'll pm you when I get it uploaded.

Originally posted by spiral light:

[qb]spiral light- I'd sure be interested in that mp3! Sounds like some REAL rock and guitar mastermind action!

No, ME ME ME! IWANIT IWANIT IWANIT!

[qb]spiral light- I'd sure be interested in that mp3! Sounds like some REAL rock and guitar mastermind action!

No, ME ME ME! IWANIT IWANIT IWANIT!
There's plenty for everyone! I'll pm you when I get it up'ed, probably tomorrow afternoon.

There was a 90-minute TV special made about Roy Buchanan that was shown on PBS way back in the seventies... title was something like "The World's Greatest Unknown Guitarist." I wonder if that's available on DVD...

I saw RB live sometine in the mid 70's while I was living in Baton Rouge La. He played in a small club down there and he sure got the joint jumping! Even for those days he was an unusual performer. He seemed pretty shy, didn't say a word to the audience, and he was dressed in a flannel shirt and jeans which was certainly not fashionable in those days. He looked like a farmer. But nobody cared what he was wearing when he played that Tele.

Mac Bowne

G-Clef Acoustics Ltd.

Osaka, Japan

You're an mp3 and PM mastermind!

:eek: >MAGNUM!!!!< :freak:

:D:D:D:thu:

And a genius & legend to boot!

Originally posted by AlChuck:

There was a 90-minute TV special made about Roy Buchanan that was shown on PBS way back in the seventies... title was something like "The World's Greatest Unknown Guitarist." I wonder if that's available on DVD...

I remember that!He really was a brillant guitarist

What? you mean I can take this block of fine swiss and make a song??...COOL!

Don

I saw Roy in the 70's-great guitarist. What I remember most is that after blowing like crazy on the guitar, when he stepped up to the mike and started to sing, the place went nuts. so cool!

He was one of my favorite guitar players ... EVER.

Only one N

Buchanan.

There was a video done on him shown on PBS at one point YEARS ago that was never released for sale ...

"The Best Unknown Guitarist in the World".

That pretty much said it all.

Myles S. Rose

www.guitaramplifierblueprinting.com

www.la-economy.blogspot.com

www.facebook.com/mylesr

www.twitter.com/myles111us

I'll just chime in...

Roy was one of the best blues players I ever heard...

...and I knew this way back when I was too young to even know what a great blues player was!

I could just feel it in his playing.

He lived and died sad...

I would love to hear/see any MP3s DVDs of old performances by Roy!!!

miroslav - miroslavmusic.com

"Just because it happened to you, it doesn't mean it's important."

Originally posted by tiger85:

He and Danny Gatton were masters of the Tele! And both gone way before their time. Sad!

Weren't they great friends? I think I heard that Roy taught Danny a lot of stuff as a youngster.

Roy had a cutting tone, and he knew how to use it. As for Danny (my hero)...well..personally, I think he was one of those guys that could probably play along with ANYbody, but few could probably keep up with him. Some of the stuff he did was super-human.

Roy just plain rocked the blues.

Two of my favorites gone too soon.

Tele :wave:

Oh, maaaaaaan!! Izzatt goood. Thanks!

Just listened to a Roy B. "cover" of "Hey, Joe" for the first time, I'll be letting it loop here now for a while before I've got to get my @$$ in gear and head out to work (noon to nine, tonight). Wow.

Might not be for general consumption, but for those of us (we know who we are) who appreciate loads of cold-@$$3d minor-key electric blues, that's a real feast! I laughed out loud when I caught the "Wind Cries Mary" and "Castles Made Of Sand" references there at the end; too cool! I almost missed it.

Love the "pinky swells"- the guitar volume-knob manipulation. I love doing that, myself! (Strats 'n' Teles really lend themselves to that.)

Now I know that I've really gotta dig into some more of Roy's work, as well as Mssr. Gatton's. (Also recently heard a Nick Drake tune on sat TV Sirius "radio"; had that sort of gravitational pull and inherent classicness and maverick individual uniquness about it that one gets from, say, Van Morrison and Tom Waits... )

The Messiah Will Come Again just knocks me to the floor.

I think Buchanan and Gatton had a little bit of a rivalry I read about once. It's too weird that they both committed suicide - almost a parallel lives thing: relatively obscure, masterful and under appreciated, substance abuse. Let's all count our blessings.

Hmmm, I have an mp3 of Roy doing Hey Joe, sounds similar to the description you gave of it (I have no idea from whence or where it originated). Let me know if you'd be interested in it.
man i would like to have that as well. i remember having some Roy B. on tape long ago. it was very impressive to say the least.

Hey SL, got your Pm, and listened to your MP3. It's from an albim called "That's What I'm Here For" and I bought it just after I saw Roy do the In Concert appearance. It isn't the same performance, and while Roy is never bad, the studio version isn't a pimple on the butt of the one I saw. I felt like I had been struck by lightning after seeng that. But thanx for sharing the MP#, it's still great.

There's a good chance that an A/V recording of that episode of (Don Kirshner's?) Rock Concert is archived, somewhere. Maybe not on a released video or audio recording- yet- but still languishing somewhere... I'd love to see it!

Archived