Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Noise Gate - not for hiss but for

alanfc

Noise Gate - not for hiss but for a

slightly microphonic bridgeplate

I have this Tele copy that I'm using and gradually upgrading. I have done alot for the bridgeplate microphonic issues but still get a =tiny = amount of feedback at full band volume. Alot of my concern is about the times I kick on the solo boost.

so does anyone use a noise gate for this type of control?

thanks

Rivera + Fender Strat

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I wouldn't bother with a noise gate for that. You may want to either have the bridge pickup dipped in wax by a pro, or better yet, replace it with a better aftermarket one. A noise gate will help, but it'll only cut into the dynamics of your playing, especially if it isn't too dirty sounding.

Yuhp. Sorry to tell you so, but the pickup will still be able to squeal out whenever your signal is opening the gate, i.e. whenever you're playing. Turning your guitar's tone-knob down just enough to alleviate the microphonic squeal will be far more effective, short of replacing your pickup alltogether (your best bet, really).

I thought you were gonna be asking about using a 'gate for an effect! An effect I've come to love...

Ask yourself- What Would Ren and Stimpy Do?

~ Caevan James-Michael Miller-O'Shite ~

_ ___ _ Leprechaun, Esquire _ ___ _

OK thanks for the notes

The pickup is an SD Lil '59 that I put in, hoping it would help me. But the problem was the same as the cheap pickup that came with the cheap guitar. I do like the new pickup though. I am about 80% there as far as eliminating the problems I had before.

I have done so far:

-padding under the pickup

-wax under the bridgeplate

-rubber sealant on the pickup height adjustment screws

-small rubber pieces around the pickup where it gets close to the bridgeplate

things I have not done:

-wax potting the pickup

-shielded the pickup cavity

maybe waxing the pickup will be the missing link in my solution? The whole process seems beyond me and I'm cheap. I was lucky to get the pickup soldered in properly :freak:

Rivera + Fender Strat

For one thing, waddya mean, "I was lucky to get the pickup soldered in properly :freak: "?

Is it kinda half-@$$3d? If so, if you've got some intermittent connections there, they could be very susceptible to sympathetically resonant vibrations making the "hot" and/or "ground" solder-joints go in and out; that could cause squealing right there.

Solder joints are either perfect, or they're useless. Period. There is no middle ground, where a sorta-maybe-iffy solder-joint will be close-enough-for-rock 'n' roll. They need to be neat, clean, very minimal, shiny, smooth, and perfect, without any pin-holes or cracks or crinkles or a dull-grey appearance or gobs 'n' bumps or contamination or too much solder or excess flux. Any of that really is unacceptable! A cold, disturbed, fractured, or otherwise poor solder-joint will go bad.

If it's perfectly wired and soldered, then we're not who you should be talking to- it should be someone with Seymour Duncan, either whoever sold you the pickup, or the manufacturer. That pickup should not be overly microphonic and squealy!

Then again... if you're running an overdrive or distortion pedal of some kind full-out or close to it, have your amp's gain really cranked and turned up loud and bright, maybe it's just too much for any pickup. Try my aforementioned idea of turning down your tone-knob just enough to lose the squeal. You might also try to be absolutely certain that it IS the pickup's fault, and not the amp, a cable, etc. Rule things out by a process of elimination!

Ask yourself- What Would Ren and Stimpy Do?

~ Caevan James-Michael Miller-O'Shite ~

_ ___ _ Leprechaun, Esquire _ ___ _

Wow- thank you. Umm, I may want to open this thing up and take another look. I highly doubt its the pickup's fault.

I have found that bringing the Tone knob down about a 1/4 turn has helped. Then I bring up any hi-end I need with the amp controls. I would also say that my dirty sound has certainly medium or old school hard rock gain. Not in the hi-gain territory at all.

On to soldering practice

thanks again

Rivera + Fender Strat

Archived