Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Amp "shields"

daddyelmis

In the never ending quest to manage stage volume, I've been looking at these plexiglass baffles that drummers and horn players use to isolate their sound (both studio and live).

Anybody use anything like this for their guitar amp on stage? I know folks that put a case or something else in front of the speaker, but I'm looking for something more aesthetic, cheap and easy to load.

Anyone? Anyone? Mr. Bueller?

www.ruleradio.com

"Fame is like death: We will never know what it looks like until we've reached the other side. Then it will be impossible to describe and no one will believe you if you try."

- Sloane Crosley, Village Voice

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

We once opened for Joe Bonamossa, and he was using a couple. They weren't very high, I'm thinking they were just to help keep the guitar from bleeding into other nearby mics on the (tight) stage. BTW and OT, he had the most elaborate pedal boards (yes, it took two, both big) that I've ever seen.

My personal method is to turn down the control marked "volume" on my amp. ;)

band link: bluepearlband.com

music, lessons, gig schedules at dennyf.com

STURGEON'S LAW --98% of everything is bullshit.

My Unitarian Jihad Name is: The Jackhammer of Love and Mercy.

Get yours.

Hey daddy, have you checked out the Weber Beam Blocker? They're like 15 bucks apiece, go between the speakers and the grille to block some of the sound and cut down on the directionality. Might be an easier/better solution than the plexiglass, if you don't need to cut stage volume TOO much. If you do need an isolation box, I think there are better materials to use than plexiglass, which produces undesirable reflections IMO.

Put a bare plexi barrier in front of your amp on my stage and I'll tell you to get on the mic before the show to let the audience know why your guitar amp sounds like sh&t.

Plexi is used for drummers because they still want to be seen. Who cares if your amp is visible. Use a lightweight frame with acoustic foam or another absorptive material for a barrier of this kind. I should point out Lee uses an airbrake (Is that the brand, Lee?) to get high load tone at lower volumes and it works well. I'd go that route before carrying around a barrier. The latter is bound to be abused, get in the way and be an all around PITA in comparison.

It's easiest to find me on Facebook. Neil Bergman

Soundclick

fntstcsnd

guitar geezer said:

I seem to remember one of the SRV show on Austin City Limits, and he had the plexi thingies in front of both amps...Probably had to to keep from blowing out the audio

I think it was the third time I saw Stevie he had those plexi things in front of his amps. He would keep walking back there to hear the sound behind them. Finally, about 5-6 songs into it, he just turned around and kicked them all over. Too cool.

Once I thought I saw you, in a crowded, hazy, bar........

Yeah, for what it's worth, I saw Joe Bonamossa and Benoit King (sp?), plexiglass, pedals, and all, just like Dennyf says.

But I'd think that Lee and Neil (fantasticsound) are steering you right here.

Ask yourself- What Would Ren and Stimpy Do?

~ Caevan James-Michael Miller-O'Shite ~

_ ___ _ Leprechaun, Esquire _ ___ _

Originally posted by Major Tom:

A smaller amp, or an attenuator would make more sense to me.

:confused:

Or a good solid state, analog amp, like a 50 watt Fender or Marshall combo. The 50w Marshall combo (single 12 inch speaker, MG50DFX) I've tried is surprisingly loud, but playable at low voulmes. Must be due to its closed back construction, which is tight, and really pushes some air.

I'm using either a Bassman, Marshall DSL201 and or a Pro Jr., and using a Weber Mass to attenuate. So that's covered. What I'm looking into is keeping the amp's sound focused away from the keyboard and bass player, who tend to be rather close given small stages. Even attenuated, these amps when driven get fairly loud on stage.

Here's pics of what I've found so far. I had considered the reflectivity factor, but these things are used in studios all the time, so go figger.

http://bellsouthpwp.net/g/_/g_chabon/AMP-SH-3.jpg

http://bellsouthpwp.net/g/_/g_chabon/AMP2.jpg

www.ruleradio.com

"Fame is like death: We will never know what it looks like until we've reached the other side. Then it will be impossible to describe and no one will believe you if you try."

- Sloane Crosley, Village Voice

Yeah, and they sound like crap in studios too. :D

I'd try the Beam Blockers before anything - they're cheap and will not add any extra equipment to carry around. They are designed to disperse the "focus" of the sound coming from amp speakers.

If that doesn't entirely do the trick, I'd make a homemade shield and use more absorbent material. Some people build an iso box for their amp that doubles as a flight case, and you could even permanently mount a mic inside. It can have a flip top so you can get at the amp controls.

Ok.. so the attenuator isn't an issue or solution.

I don't know where you saw plexi panels used in a studio, but if you remember where, be sure to avoid recording there. That is f&cked up on so many levels it's silly. Can you say, "phasing", "comb filter", or "sounds like ass". ;):D

Stick with absorbtive panels to limit your amps sound radius.

I do have another suggestion, though. Have you seen one of these?

http://www.pro-music-news.com/html/03/30122enh.jpg

Not just an amp stand, it directs the rear output of an open back cabinet forward at ground level.

It's easiest to find me on Facebook. Neil Bergman

Soundclick

fntstcsnd

Again, good words born of experience in some of the preceding posts there...

Could some kind of sonically absorbant panel(s) beside the amp- not in front- help to shield your key-man and bass-commander? Perhaps two in a "V", behind the amp, particularly in the case of an open-back combo? Of course, with the speakers NOT directed towards their locations. They wouldn't have to be all that tall, about the height of those plexiglass shields, and wouldn't be all that noticable; certainly less so than those lexan fireplace guards...

Anybody got any thoughts or experience with something like that?

If used along with Lee's Weber Beam Blockers and/or Neil's Enhancer stand set-up, I'd expect it to greatly reduce a lot of the stray "wash" from your combo-amp flooding the stage.

Ask yourself- What Would Ren and Stimpy Do?

~ Caevan James-Michael Miller-O'Shite ~

_ ___ _ Leprechaun, Esquire _ ___ _

Archived