Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

G3 show

Björn Fröberg

I went to see G3 in Helsinki on friday. It was a good show with plenty of good guitar-playing. It wasn't that good as I had hoped, and we had pretty bad seats, but it was definately a well worth evening.

Joe Satriani was the shining star of the show, he played his ass off! My god, you wouldn't believe his 48 when you see him on stage!

Steve Vai was a little dissapointment. I went mainly to see him, only to find out that he should go home for some practice. He played good, but he was a bit sloppy on the guitar and made too many mistakes. (on a Vai scale) When Steve, Joe and Robert Fripp all joined on stage he played better, which made me feel much better about it, though.

The thing is, I didn't see Robert Fripp at all! He was "hiding" on the side of the stage, and from my seat, he was behind a bunch of cases and stuff! He played good, but he didn't really fit in with the other two. That made me wondering when Joe and Steve will take Edward Van Halen on a G3 tour? That could be pretty awesome, if Vai would've practiced a bit before the tour.

Anyways, it was a good show, the backing musicians were flawless, and the guitarist were great! Excellent way to spend a friday night!

- Bob Freebird

A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools. -Douglas Adams

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hey, Bjorn, what's it like in Finland? I've been thinking about traveling lately. I'm kinda looking for specific destinations to be time-efficient. Most likely I'll go with England, to sort of trace a little family history.....

Anyway, G3 sounded like a good show. I saw them here in North Carolina several months ago with Yngwie instead of Fripp. Satriani was the standout then, too. He was just great and really made the show worth going to. I thought Vai was too into entertaining the crowd with gimmicky playing. And Yngwie, well, was just Yngwie. Good show, though.

Everybody knows rock attained perfection in 1974. It's a scientific fact. - Homer Simpson

I was thinking about Vai's gimmicky playing too. I think it would be great to see him just play, and take it easy, instead of playing around with playing each others guitars and stuff all the time. It's cool to see them do that though, they're doing it really good, but I'd enjoy him more when he'd put all that energy into his playing instead.

Well, Finland... What could I say? It's difficult to describe it, since I live here. It's normal to me, but I'll try to give it a shot.

Finland is known as the land of the thousand lakes. There are some fantastic places with small roads with lakes 2 meters away on both sides, there's a lot of forests and nature. It's a beautiful country if you have the time to explore it a bit more than Helsinki. Helsinki is like whatever city around here, (Stockholm, Tallinn, and such) they don't differ so much. But if you want nature and you're ready to go exploring the nature, you're in for a treat.

It all depends on what you are after in your traveling, I myself have so much in the world I want to see, so I don't think I'd pick Finland first. If you're interested in more information, you can always search the net. There should be much information around here.. ;)

- Bob Freebird

A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools. -Douglas Adams

too bad to hear about Vai-when I saw him live a couple of years ago his playing was really good but a lot of the time it took THREE guitarists to cover the sounds on his records-and the audience near where I stood was annoyingly unresponsive, to the point where Vai said at one point, `Are we delivering?`

Same old surprises, brand new cliches-

Skipsounds on Soundclick:

www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandid=602491

I haven't had the opportunity to see a G3 show yet, but have seen most of the players separately. Seen Joe about four times, Eric Johnson a few times, and Steve Vai once.

I would say that Steve Vai absolutely blew my mind - I saw him play at a small venue about 4 years ago or so (Antone's in Austin, TX) - no more than a couple hundred people - but did he ever play some amazing things. I've never seen anybody play like that before - I left there ready to quit playing guitar forever :) Just wanted to support Steve as some here expressed their disappointment!

aclausen , don't get me wrong, he was friggin' great, absolutely crazy playing, but I was a bit dissapointed for his many mistakes, (on a Vai-scale :freak: ) maybe because I was prepared for flawless playing. It was that that made me want him to go practice, and I think if he listened carefully enough to himself, he would want it too. I just don't think he's got the time for it... :(

- Bob Freebird

Archived