Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Seeking advice on studio monitors

dkenton

Hi folks,

I am looking to buy a pair of active studio monitors that I can plug into my 4-track recorder, so I can get out from under the headphones.

Musicians Friend (and others) have dozens to choose from -- ranging from $99 to $2000. I'm looking for the best option for under $300, preferably under $200. I don't need top-of-the-line, but I want to avoid buying crap. Comparing specs I really don't understand just makes it more confusing.

Anyone care to share some words of wisdom?

Thanks!

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

WELCOME to the Forum :wave:

Glad to see another new member. Fresh blood keeps us alive.

Don't forget to visit the links on the right once and a while. It keeps the Forum alive too!

I don't know about Studio Monitors in particular, but I do know a little about speakers in general.

If you're wanting to listen to just guitar, any frequency response below 87 Hz is wasted. That would make getting a decent speaker(s) easier since good bass (30 to 60 Hz) costs money. IF you can find a curve showing the frequency response, that is best. Look for a very flat (no dips or peaks) for a TRUE reproduction of what you are playing. Again on frequency range, the very highest notes (18 kHz and above) are not required because the guitar does not produce them.

The most improtant things are flat frequency response and "clear tone". The later can only be determined in person with a sound source that you are very familiar with. Your budget is probably reasonable btw.

Dave

Gotta' geetar... got the amp. There must be SOMEthing else I... "need".

http://www.prorec.com/prorec/articles.nsf/files/0B7FAE7ED3205D3C86256AE100044F41

Written in 2001, it is not complete, but it will give you a lot of info.

My own favorite, when I stopped listening to monitors on that level, was the Mackie HR-824. For my money, they are the least acceptable monitor. Less (in cost) doesn't (or didn't) cut it for me (in sound).

Bill

"I believe that entertainment can aspire to be art, and can become art, but if you set out to make art you're an idiot."

Steve Martin

Show business: we're all here because we're not all there.

Archived