Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Sweaty hands

Cezar20

I have trouble with sweaty palms. Doesn't bother me when playing keyboards or drums but have started to learn guitar and I find it trouble some. The areas that sweat are the fingertips and the bottom of the palm, thus making it difficult to hold down the strings with my left hand without slipping. Anyone have this problem? What can be done about it, short of wearing latex gloves whilst playing? :)

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I used to play upright bass in a jazz combo, and we did outside performances one summer in a park. When the sun got low in the sky, our gazebo didn't provide much protection, so we all would bake.

I used unscented Right Guard spray deodorant on both hands and wrists (and pits) to keep sweat from dripping from my fingers.

...it's Mr Stabby, da da da da da daaaah, da da da da da da daaaah...

You might want to see your physician about that :D

Or.. you might want to look at some diagrams on proper methods for holding a guitar to minimize the unnecessary contact you're making with the neck. This should remove the impact of the lubricant significantly by ensuring your forces are directed in the right areas of the neck.

I watched George Thourogood play in the rain once and he didn't miss a note in spite of being sopping wet.... proper form will permit you to accommodate this inconvenience.

..... and then (as mentioned) there's Rightguard!

Good luck with your perspiration control and your playing.

I still think guitars are like shoes, but louder.

I don't know what to say except that years ago my hands sweated badly and now they haven't in years. Don't know why really, unless I've been replaced by an android!?
...touched down in the land of the Delta Blues.....in the middle of the pouring rain....

try some ultra thin and skin tight athletic gloves. if they don't interfere with your playing, you may have a solution. They are made to absorb sweat.

bbach

Beauty is in the eye of the beer holder.

Archived