Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Classic Tele Bridgeplate upturned edges-vital or not?

alanfc

I have this Telecaster copy that I'm planning and researching gradual upgrades for. I'm happy with it in general, but its so cheap that there are a few things I must replace for my peace of mind

#4 on my list is a new bridgeplate/tail.

The one on my copy has the flat metal bridgeplate like the classic, but does not have the upturned edges on the sides. Are these edges part of the classic tone too? I mean do they make for reflections/vibrations that contribute to the sound in a =significant= way?

It needs to be a top loader. The back of mine does have an upturned edge for the strings.

any tips greatly appreciated

Rivera + Fender Strat

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yeah, the sides only matter if you want dead-on "vintage" looks, or for some reason really got used to their feel under your hand or somethin'.

If you want to be particular and purist about it, like 'zan said, the material- in this case, ferrous (iron-based) metal- is more important- as is the bridge (triple-saddles made of brass) and stringing (through-body ferrules).

Although, there are plenty of folks who get great Tele-style tones and do their great playing on guitars wich depart from these supposed rules. Jim Campilongo (sp?) of the "Ten Gallon Cats" fame uses a Tele with a top-loading bridge-plate, and I think it's also a '59 (reputed by some to be among the worst of the best, that is, a thin sounding example of a vintage-Tele) with its pickups wired out of phase. He sounds great!

Ask yourself- What Would Ren and Stimpy Do?

~ Caevan James-Michael Miller-O'Shite ~

_ ___ _ Leprechaun, Esquire _ ___ _

Originally posted by Guitarzan:

if your bridge is solid you could always go for graphtech saddles.

Yes I've read about those. Seems like a great idea. I think that could be a cheaper upgrade than a whole new bridgeplate and saddle combo like I was looking at before. Plus easier to change myself.. On this guitar I want to learn to do my own tecking :freak:

thanks

Rivera + Fender Strat

I have Graphtechs on my US Standard Tele, which incidentally doesn't have the raised sides on the bridge plate. The Graphtechs sound very close to the standard six saddles that came on the guitar, but they reduce string breakage for those of us with a well developed shoulder strum! Don't buy that "extra mid sizzle" they talk about, it's marginal at best.

The Four Way Tele Switch is a great addition. It allows the three standard Tele options, plus both p'ups in series for those times when you need a little extra.

Tea.

compensated brass saddles are the only way to go. period. if you want it to sound like a tele, it has to be brass.

graphtech's are great on strats, but they kill tele tone.

if you want the real deal tele twang ala brent mason, keef, redd volkaert, danny gatton, brad paisley, et al... you gotta have brass.

it should be the first item you upgrade, it has SOOOOO much impact on tone, it will impact your choice of pickups. plus they'll only run you 30 bucks.

some people claim top loaders can't get "the sound", but they can. the upturned edges don't do anything but hold the old "ashtray" as guitarzan pointed out.

If you want a "vintage" Tele-styled bridge-saddle set-up (I'm wearin' out the hyphon-key, ain't I? :D ), but also want a more "modern" intonation, don't forget that there are some angled-for-intonation brass three-piece saddle sets available from Fender, Stewart-MacDonald, and probably others...

Originally posted by Caevan O'Shite:

... don't forget that there are some angled-for-intonation brass three-piece saddle sets available ...

yep. "compensated" saddles. :D

the threaded type are dandy because they keep the strings in place better than the round-ish ones.

Thanks

If I go with the three -saddle type I must need to get a new plate anyway right?

Because it appears from the Stewmac pics that the three screws are out of position compare to my 6-saddle thing.

Rivera + Fender Strat

Mr Geezer-

I was too cheap to even buy a Squier.

I was goin nuts wanting a Telecaster. Must be Fender, must be the American Standard. This one felt best out of all gillion ones I played through G & L, Fender.

Its $729 new, up to 829 after Aug.. I only want new. Thats the way I am . I plan on keeping it a really long time.

Anyay, raising dough for this wasn't looking good and many many months away. So I sank $99 into a copy. Made in China, finished and setup in Portland, OR (my old hometown)

I love it . The Tele sound, I have it now..... I've never really had a hi quality guitar so I don't care ...I am so at peace right now. Very happy. Just put on my own .010's and re-did the intonation. Sounds so impressive through the Rivera . NO problems with it. Fine for now. Definitely worth it. Has a 1 year warantee too. Yippee!

see here, the company is Carlson

I hijacked an Ebay auction and offered to drive out to pick it up rather than having it shipped , so it was only $99

http://f2.pg.photos.yahoo.com/alanfc66

Rivera + Fender Strat

Its kinda funny, really. This thread just reminded me that I'm supposed to have a new bridge plate (raised edges) comming in the mail, but it's not because musiciansfriend had it on back-order for more than three months. And I just checked the website and it's still on backorder! :mad:

So i guess I'm going to cancel my order today and order it from someone else. I've had my 3-piece brass saddles sitting on my computer dest this whole time...

Anyway

To answer your question, yes you're probably going to need a new plate if you want the three saddle deal. You can get the whole deal for close to $25 if you look around on the net. I just tried Froogle.google.com

Good luck :thu:

I always notice your Roy B picture and have now started to lounge and play me Tele too. But his left wrist isn't as wacked as mine. Hurts a little from doing that (have stopped)

Maybe I need a better comfy chair :idea:

Rivera + Fender Strat

Originally posted by alanfc:

I always notice your Roy B picture and have now started to lounge and play me Tele too. But his left wrist isn't as wacked as mine. Hurts a little from doing that (have stopped)

Maybe I need a better comfy chair :idea:

Come to think of it, i also have that problem. Except when i practice lounging back it's always on my couch that's about a foot and a half off the ground.

I gotta keep my eyes open for a seat that's just right.

I go to yard sales and bring my tele and test them out :D

alanfc - Is your's a string-through?

http://www.musicplayer.com/ubb/Avatars/48.jpg

Or a top-loader?

If it is a top-loading bridge (now), you'll want to go with whichever it already strings for replacement parts; unless you want to go nuts and drill holes and insert ferrules.

Originally posted by Caevan O'Shite:

alanfc - Is your's a string-through?

http://www.musicplayer.com/ubb/Avatars/48.jpg

Or a top-loader?

If it is a top-loading bridge (now), you'll want to go with whichever it already strings for replacement parts; unless you want to go nuts and drill holes and insert ferrules.

yes sir , Top loader :cry:

I've been doing my planning-shopping based on that

I'm not going overboard and go drillin anytime soon

Rivera + Fender Strat

I used to have the flying Crow off some UK site but it disappeared. My avatar is from the choices on this site. Its a mythological character from an old painting. But the guy isn't yawning he's freakin out. Or maybe its Medusa ?
Rivera + Fender Strat

Archived