Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

A little confusion RE StewMac and Warmoth

alanfc

hello-

I am shopping/planning on tuners to upgrade my Tele copy. I have no tuning problems, but with the tuners on this thing -some of them =creak= when I turn them and some are smooth. I just don't trust them.

so I go to Stewmac and Warmoth to look at tuners and the differences in price are huge. Am I missing something? The price range on a full 6 pc. set at Warmoth's is $25-60. On StewMac some of the brands are the same but they're priced at $18-40+ =per Tuner=.

am I missing something huge here?

also, my tuners are slightly rectangular with soft edges closed back, with the 2 screws at diagonal opposites from each other. Do I have to have the same configuration for these screws with any new tuners I get?. Alot of the tuners I've seen have them parallel or on some, there is only one screw !

thanks

Rivera + Fender Strat

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi Alan,

Check StewMac again. They sell alot of items to guitar dealers and music stores, so they always have bulk prices for those large volume customers. When they list tuners at $40 each, they mean each set, since they have many customers who buy ten or more sets at a time. Look on the left side of the the description and you'll see them listed 3L/3R - meaning 3 per side; or 6 inline - six tuners on the same side. In other words, all six.

you want to measure the holes that the tuners go through and order the new ones based on that size. the retaining screws are less of an issue, and can be moved.

probably wouldn't hurt to have a technician do the job.

Thanks - I think I will take it in to a tech. Probably have acouple jobs done at once, new tuners and pickup replacement. In a few weeks I'll know if I can live with the pickups or not.

I see now that all the descriptions up top state "set of 6" (ugh-oops)

BLUESTRAT-

are these the ones you mean?

http://www.stewmac.com/shop/Tuners/Guitar,_solid_peghead/1/Grover_Mini_Rotomatic s.html#details

thanks

Rivera + Fender Strat

alanfc- by the way, try muting the strings on each side of the nut as you turn a tuner, to see if the creaking is actually caused by the string catching and binding in the nut-slot. That happens a lot!

If it is in fact the tuners creaking, well, you wanted to replace them, anyways.

If it turns out to be the nut-slots, having them smoothed out by a competant, qualified tech as well as having better tuners installed will make it seem like a new guitar!

Ask yourself- What Would Ren and Stimpy Do?

~ Caevan James-Michael Miller-O'Shite ~

_ ___ _ Leprechaun, Esquire _ ___ _

Originally posted by Caevan O'Shite:

alanfc- by the way, try muting the strings on each side of the nut as you turn a tuner, to see if the creaking is actually caused by the string catching and binding in the nut-slot. That happens a lot!

If it is in fact the tuners creaking, well, you wanted to replace them, anyways.

If it turns out to be the nut-slots, having them smoothed out by a competant, qualified tech as well as having better tuners installed will make it seem like a new guitar!

thanks-

yes I can feel them creak as I turn them. Only a couple do it though ! :freak:

I have just emailed the company for specs, so I can shop based on my existing holes. On first look it seems like I'll need the =mini= version from whichever maker I choose

thanks

Rivera + Fender Strat

Archived