Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Inexpensive acoustic guitars

tiger85

What's the best ones you guys have run across? Even some pawn shops put ridiculous prices on 'em. Cort and Alvarez seem to make some decent ones. Also, any good kits available?
...touched down in the land of the Delta Blues.....in the middle of the pouring rain....

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Acoustic guitar kits (Martin and Stewart McDonald come to mind) don't seem to be as good of a deal as solid-body electric kits. Plus, you have to do actual work (gluing! clamping!) to make them.

So many good chinese guitars out there under $200 - the same models with different brand names). Hondo is a good tip because they are closer to the factory business-wise than many others who buy from the same factory, Johnson, Turser... In the ~$300 range, you can get to Tacoma, Hofner, etc., that might be a slightly higher-quality instrument.

Blueridge. Chinese made, but solid. Just find a nice one and spend the bucks to have a real luthier give it a proper setup and you'll have an inexpensive, high quality instrument to play. Everyone who has played mine is shocked to find out the price and country of manufacture. I wouldn't have considered one until a highly respected luthier here in Nashville suggested it as a relatively low cost replacement for my acoustic that was damaged beyond reasonable cost of repair. We agreed on a satin finish, BR-OMS dreadnaught. He installed an L.R. Baggs ribbon pickup. It's schweeeeeet! ;) (BTW - I've owned it for 5 years or so. It's always been a wonderful instrument.

It's easiest to find me on Facebook. Neil Bergman

Soundclick

fntstcsnd

I really like my Alvarez AD70S. I paid 285 (345 new, I think) for it used, in perfect condition. The other acoustics I tried out that were as good as it cost at least 600-700 . I haven't regretted buying it.

- Bob Freebird

A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools. -Douglas Adams

Seagulls are good guitars. When I tried out the Alvarez I also tried out some Seagulls, but I didn't like their cheaper models. The ones I liked were about 600 and up.

- Bob Freebird

A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools. -Douglas Adams

Consider getting an Ibanez V70CE-NT dreadnought acoustic-electric. I got mine at Flag City Music in Findlay, OH last October for $232 (the list price is $299). A very nice sounding and playing guitar. If you're looking for an inexpensive acoustic amp to go with that, I'd suggest an Ibanez IBZ10--I got one for only $79 at Peeler's in Toledo, OH near the end of last year. It sounds great, has a lot of power for a 10 watt amp (at least I think so-I turn it up only to "3" and it's plenty loud), and comes with a built-in chorus.

Robert J. ("Bob") Welch III

"If you were the only person who ever lived, God still would have sent Jesus His only Son to die on the cross for YOU, because that is how much HE LOVES YOU!"

I found a great deal on one and am VERY happy with its sound - Yamaha CPX8SY - lists for $1200, other sites had it for $799+ - Musician's Friend recently had it for $399 - it sounds like it costs $1000 - I just checked their site and don't see it any longer - may be worth a phone call to them though as they were limited quantities.

Archived