Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

For the Midwestern among us - Summerfest

PBBPaul

I put up some Spam about this over on Craig's forum too. For those who have never experienced it, Summerfest is happening in Milwaukee on the shores of Lake Michigan from June 24th to July 4th. If you've never been, it's a helluva party for $12. Here\'s the lineup this year.

SPAM:

My band just happens to be opening the Hyundai stage on Saturday July 3rd. :D

Soooo if you're not doin' anything, you may consider this a cordial invitation.

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Originally posted by Tedster:

Yo, PBBPaul...how far are you from Oshkosh? I'm gonna be up there for the big air show in July...

You fly Tedster?

bbach

Beauty is in the eye of the beer holder.

It is a huge event. There are 13 stages going simultaneously with all types of music. There's also a kids' area with appropriate entertainment, a sports area, around 50 or 60 restaurants, and a whole lot of beer. The site is around 75 acres. It used to be the largest annual music festival in the world. I'm not sure if that's still true. I've had some very cool Summerfest experiences over the years.

The EAA (Experimental Aircraft Association) show in Oshkosh that Tedster is going to is also huge. The sheer number of airplanes is absolutely amazing. Info for all you pilots here.

Too bad the two are a month apart.

Actually, I'm only a wannabe pilot. :( I'll be going representing the National Weather Service Aviation Weather Center...ya know, hanging around a booth wearing a NOAA/AWC logo golf shirt and khakis and passing out pamphlets. I believe I'll be going the last couple of days in July/first day or so in August. I'll check. We definitely have to get together!
"Cisco Kid, was a friend of mine"

Cool!

I don't think I'll be able to make it there during the week but I'll definitely plan on coming up over the weekend. Check with Phait from the SSS forum as well. He's about a half hour from Oshkosh. I'll PM you as we get closer so maybe we can make some plans. Oshkosh is a small city and it gets pretty chaotic during the air show.

Originally posted by PBBPaul:

Originally posted by the.circular.motion.rub.it:

im goin...

and im gonna get CRUNKD!!!

:P

(if people will sell me beers illegally that is...)

Drink carefully, There's a lot more underage drinking security these days.
dont worry, ill keep it on the DL

and maybe ill grow a beard or something :P

"what? of course hes 21! underage drinkers cannot grow beards!!!"-incredulous dude at summerfest, re:me (with beard)

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

steppin in a rhythm to a kurtis blow/who needs a beat when your feet just go

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Summerfest is indeed a great gig - many national acts (even international acts) often indicate it is one of thier favorite gigs. The musicians are treated very good (even the opening acts and the local acts.

I've had the pleasure of playing Summerfest almost every year of it's existance, and have been in opening acts for many 60's/70's acts that still do the summer circuit (Turtles, Rascels, Starship, Temtations, etc. etc).

I have never had a bad Summerfest gig (I must have at least 25 Summerfest gigs under my belt).

The only problem is, I'm so "spoiled" as a paid player, I have a hard time "paying" to get in as a pedestrian - even though it is still one of the best entertainment values you can find.

Originally posted by freelance:

Summerfest is indeed a great gig - many national acts (even international acts) often indicate it is one of thier favorite gigs. The musicians are treated very good (even the opening acts and the local acts.

I've had the pleasure of playing Summerfest almost every year of it's existance, and have been in opening acts for many 60's/70's acts that still do the summer circuit (Turtles, Rascels, Starship, Temtations, etc. etc).

I have never had a bad Summerfest gig (I must have at least 25 Summerfest gigs under my belt).

The only problem is, I'm so "spoiled" as a paid player, I have a hard time "paying" to get in as a pedestrian - even though it is still one of the best entertainment values you can find.

Are you playing this year? And if so, where/when?

We'll be there just once; on Sat., July 3rd at noon on the Hyundai stage.

I may be there on June 27, at 5:00pm (I think thats the date & time) subbing with 5 Guys With Day Jobs) and I may do a sub gig at the Legends Stage (which I think simply means "old guys who use to gig in town a lot") with the Good Intentions but I don't have a date and time yet.

The last several years, I have ended up at Summerfest as a sub for various bands, so I often don't have something locked in till later in the summer.

I don't play with any given band anymore - I freelance with several groups. I just know that when someone calls and asks if I can do a Summerfest gig - I make sure I work it in.

I absolutely love playing Summerfest!!!!!

That sounds like fun. Who's all in FGWDJ now? I remember that Dagenhardt was doing that for a while. What are you playing with them? Guitar? Keys? Drums?

Also, I used to know the sax player from The Good Intentions (this is years ago). Was it Mike? Is he still with the band?

Have you and I met? It sounds like we probably know a lot of the same people.

I agree about the Fest. We always have a great time playing there. It's a refreshing break from the clubs and always makes for some good stories.

PBBPaul,

Daganhart is not with them (to my knowledge) the only two I know for sure are still with 5 Guys are the guitars players (who have been with them for a long time (I can't even remeber there names right now) - I'm not really buds with 5 guys, I have subbed for them a couple of times (I don't ask who will be on stage - I jus ask, where, whn & how much). I'll be doing percussion at Summerfest. I normally sub on drums or percussion (my main axes) although I sometimes sub on keys/guitar (but that has to be mainly older material (I know a lot of 50's-70's on keys/guitar but not much newer stuff)

The Sax player for Good Intentions is Kurt Kron - it's his band and he will likley be leading that band till they pull the sax out of his cold stiff fingers.

I don't think we know each other, but it sounds like do know many of the same people. Like you, I've been playing the southern Wisconsin/northern Illinois circuit for a long time.

Enjoy your Summerfest gig.

Archived