Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Parker Nitefly

Jay J.

I am thinking about purchasing one of these, they look really nice and seem to play great. I don't have much guitar experience (I'm mainly a bass player) but I know a guy who is selling his for $500, which seems like a pretty good deal considering they cost about $1200 new. what are your opinions on this axe.

thanks.

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Who is selling it, I'll offer him $550!! ;):)

Seriously, I have played one of these, they are nice. The neck is great, it's light weight and I believe they have the regualr/piezo pickup option.

My prognosis: it will be $500 very well spent.

www.windhamhill.com - Shameless Advertising!

Originally posted by Gato:

Be carefull with frets, they are just "glued". To replace them look for a Parker expert luthier.

Yeah that's been one of the problems with Parkers, the frets can pop out. I had a Fly Deluxe, that was one of the best guitars I've ever had. Never had a problem with the frets but I did have the piezo onboard amp go out, which is another problem they have. I got Parker to pay for mine, but if it goes out, that's two or three hundred bucks to replace it, so make sure everything is working good. If you play it and the piezo pickup does not maintain consistent volume, fades in and out, or makes any crackling sounds, that's a sign it's going bad. That is a very good price.

Originally posted by madgrinder:

"mmm....plastic..."

Now, that's just not so! There's less plastic in most Parkers than on a Strat! Unless you consider the carbon/glass fretboard "plastic"; it's sonically more like idealized super-hard ebony.

They're all wood, the bodies and necks, it's the finish which acts as an exoskeleton, allowing the use of thin, light woods for resonance.

Anyways, looks like easily worth $500, Jay J.! Just watch for loosened frets, as said before here, as well as everything you'd check out in a used axe.

Make sure that he throws in any required stereo cord or anything like that, too! Otherwise, you might have trouble getting the most out of it; I think that you do need a stereo or "Y"-cord with the older models. There have been some changes made in the line of late, and all for the better, I think!

http://www.parkerguitars.com/images/footer_ad_20.jpg

(I know the pic says, "Custom Shop", but the wooden body shown is fairly representative of their guitars in general.)

http://www.parkerguitars.com/images/models/nitefly_intro.jpg

Ask yourself- What Would Ren and Stimpy Do?

~ Caevan James-Michael Miller-O'Shite ~

_ ___ _ Leprechaun, Esquire _ ___ _

thats what i noticed when i first tried a nitefly. it was incredible. easily the best set up and action of any axe i have tried. everything was balanced.

even the way the neck sits in the pocket is an improvement. the neck heel is curved like the back of the neck and it sits into a curved pocket. when you bolt it down it will make contact at all points of the pocket. not many bolt ons have as much pressure on the sides of the pocket because the main pressure point is the bottom of the pocket (the bolts pull the neck down). i would suggest that there is an improvement in tone transfer this way.

Originally posted by TheWewus:

Originally posted by Gato:

Be carefull with frets, they are just "glued". To replace them look for a Parker expert luthier.

Yeah that's been one of the problems with Parkers, the frets can pop out.
Yeap, that's what I mean.

stanner- will they at least take .011" through .050" (or .052")?

:idea::cool: Some of those DR Zebra acoustic/electric strings- the ones with the alternating nickel and bronze wrap on the wound strings- would really bring out the best (and a little of the "Beast" ;) ) in a new Fly, I'd bet! :thu:

Ask yourself- What Would Ren and Stimpy Do?

~ Caevan James-Michael Miller-O'Shite ~

_ ___ _ Leprechaun, Esquire _ ___ _

I tried one a few years back when they were fairly new, and I really wanted to like it 'cause I liked the expensive Fly, and this was a lot less $$. Honestly, I didn't care for it at all, to me it just sounded "generic" as far as its acoustic voice aside from pickups and electronics. There is something about guitars with maple bodies and maple necks that just doesn't sound right to me...like they were born without a soul or something. I don't know if the Nitefly has a maple neck, but it does have the plastic fretboard I think; gotta be one bright sounding axe. Probably just me.

:confused:

In a way The Parkers are generic, they all do sound the same, which is good in a way because if you want that sound you can just go pick up any Parker off the rack, and get that sound, unlike a Les Paul or other guitars with which the same model can sound very different. The fretboard is carbon fiber/glass fiber not plastic, and it does feel like glass, the smoothest fretboard of any guitar made.

I think the best strings for a Parker are The Elixers BECAUSE of the stainless steel frets on The Parker. With regular strings you get more than normal fret noise, and the coating on The Elixer strings dampens this, really does sound better to me.

The stainless steel frets are a great feature. You'll probably never have to have the guitar refretted or frets leveled, becuase they just don't become slotted like regular frets. I played my Parker almost every day for five years, and the frets didn't have a mark on them. Also with the glass fingerboard and Elixer strings you can do some incredible slides up the fingerboard.

A drawback to the Parkers is the finish. The finish will chip off fairly easily, and if it does, you're screwed. Nobody knows how to repair that finish. I guess they'd repair it at the factory, never looked in to that. I wound up patching a ding on my gold Parker with some epoxy mixed with gold paint, and the repair looked kind of half ass.

I got the parker midifly which is basicly a nitefly,all mahogany,great bass,not midrangy at all,clear highs,guess that plastic is doin a great job,stringed with eb pure nickle wounds makes you wanna eh fly.

Archived