Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Strat trem arm

maketin

Hi!

Anyone have a solution for a Fender Stratocaster tremolo arm that is loose? I mean the arm´s thread is loose so that when you crab the trem arm there is some slack. Thank you for your comments!

• Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Go down the plumbing supply aisle and find some teflon tape. It's used to wrap around the threads of pipe fittings and prevent leaks. It's very thin tape with no sticky stuff. Wrap a few passes around the threaded portion of the bar and see if that fills enough space.

I think if you dig deep enough in the Fender parts bin, you can get a new socket without having to get the whole bridge unit.

Yeah, the Teflon thread-tape that both of these guys have mentioned is the simplest and cheapest way to fix this, although it will need to be redone now and then. I've used this myself. (The tape has no adhesive and is not sticky, by the way. You just wind it on tightly.) Trial-and-error will find just the right amount you'll need to wrap on there to snug it up to your liking.

As long as there is a bottom, and the bore is not all the way through, the spring-trick also works.

A helicoil re-threading is possible, too, I guess; I just don't know the correct thread-gauge off the top of my head (and there's likely been several), or whether there's a kit that will fit... got any friends who do automotive machining work? They'd know what's up.

Oh, yeah... I didn't know what billster meant by a "socket" 'till after I posted this, and then a light went on over my head... yeah, he's right, there are replacement "Inertia Blocks" available, and sometimes they will sound different depending on their material. Make sure that you get the right one to fit your bridge, there have been variations in dimensions and design over the years!

Ask yourself- What Would Ren and Stimpy Do?

~ Caevan James-Michael Miller-O'Shite ~

_ ___ _ Leprechaun, Esquire _ ___ _

Archived