Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Highway 1 Strats on clearance for $369 at Guitar Center

bassdrummer

I'm visiting from the Low Down Lowdown. Last night at the Guitar Center in Fresno, CA I bought my first guitar (I play bass and drums). A crimson red Highway 1 Strat for $369! There were a bunch on clearance: crimson red, sapphire blue, and teal green. I'm not a guitar player, but it's been next on my list of instruments to learn. At that price I couldn't pass it up. Got an SKB Freedom hardshell case, a cheap strap and stand, and an 18' cable as well.

I asked how in the heck these Strats could be going for that low, and the only answer I got was that they are getting new colors in and wanted to clear out the old inventory.

:confused:

Anyhow, I walked in there looking to check out basses, bass amps, and cymbals and walked out with a guitar. It was a fun night!

:thu:

"All the world's indeed a stage, and we are merely players..."

--Rush, "Limelight"

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

bassdrummer,

Check your PM's.

"Meat is the only thing you need beside beer! Big hunks of meat and BEER!!...Lots of freakin' BEER."

"Hey, I'm not Jesus Christ, I can't turn water into wine. The best I can do is turn beer into urine." Zakk Wylde

http://www.hepcnet.net/bbssmilies/super.gif

http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/15_1_109.gif

You got one heck of a good value. They do normally go for about $600 and they are still a hot seller. I've also seen worst colors than red.

When the Highway 1 first came out, I went to the music store to pick up my amp which was repaired and wanted to try it out with a Strat. My guitar salesman friend said He'd let you try it with the best sounding Strat on his rack. He handed me this semi transparent looking Strat with vintage type hardware. It played and sounded great. I asked him what model Mexican Strat it was and he then informed me it was a US Highway No. 1.

If I didn't already own 3 Strats and have a daughter in college, I would have bought it. It's a great instrument. I prefer it to the American Standards because I really don't like the Fender Noiseless pups in the Standard.

Isn't the hiway one line the one with the weak finish on it? Might be a good beat up on guitar...dambit now you're giving me GAS...I'd like one of those or a Jimmy Vaughan Strat and I allready have one strat dangit..the 2002 Powerhouse that's cherry that I got off ebay for $325 with gig bag,which is really nice but it has active circuitry which needs a feeding of a 9v battery from time to time...like every 3 months!!!CLicK here for the best version of Hendrix's "Little Wing...Guitarwise and Tonewise and technique-wise...dont listen to the vocals but just the guitar part..and this was on a MIM strat and by a russian player!

http://www.hendrix.ru/audio/001/little_wing_tedeev.wav

Originally posted by Mike Gug:

I'm gonna hit GC for lunch. I'll report later...

Mike's lunch order: Yeah, I'd like a $369 Highway 1 Strat with a side order of fries . . . and a gig bag . . . no onions . . . and can I get a strap with that?

--Rush, "Limelight"

Standards are $369 the US highway 1s were $599 and are now being marked down to $449. Blue, Red, Teal and Creme. I talked to a sales guy and he said since they have new colors coming, they are blowing the stock out.

You must have gotten a mis-marked one, great score!

"Never back-up more than you have to"

REAL MEN PLAY TELECASTERS!

Originally posted by mdog114:

Standards are $369 the US highway 1s were $599 and are now being marked down to $449. Blue, Red, Teal and Creme. I talked to a sales guy and he said since they have new colors coming, they are blowing the stock out.

You must have gotten a mis-marked one, great score!

I thought Standards were $349, not $369. Is the price going up, then?

There were many more "mis-marked" than just one, then! A whole bunch; at least 5, and there were red, teal, and blue (no creme). All with big Guitar Center "Clearance" yellow tags screaming, "$369 US SPECIAL HIGHWAY 1 STRAT!"

I invited my guitar-and-bass-guru/mentor friend over to my house last night. Me on my Precision and he on my new Strat. I am VERY happy with this guitar. Great sound, great vibe; and I have fallen in love with the thin transparent finish!

--Rush, "Limelight"

thanx for all the info peeps!

i went down to the GC here in sf and picked up the last one they had-listed @ $599. and i told the guy they were talkin $ 369 on and he gave it to me fer that price-yippee...plus gig bag.

guitar tech to the stars has it now-he's afixin it up stylee...

it looks really cool w/ that translucent reddish/rust wash on there-hope all turns out well for all o' us :)

s :cool:

AMPSSOUNDBETTERLOUDER

Originally posted by soonersrock:

Sorry here the little wing post I meant to put up as my fav:

http://www.hendrix.ru/audio/001/littlewing-babe.mp3

He needs to mind the pushes and pulls tempo wise, and the tempo of his trills relative to where he's putting the offbeat accents on the chords. He's also got the phrasing reversed on the start of the bit with the add9 voicings on the modulation.

Originally posted by Jim Novak:

Originally posted by soonersrock:

Sorry here the little wing post I meant to put up as my fav:

http://www.hendrix.ru/audio/001/littlewing-babe.mp3

He needs to mind the pushes and pulls tempo wise, and the tempo of his trills relative to where he's putting the offbeat accents on the chords. He's also got the phrasing reversed on the start of the bit with the add9 voicings on the modulation.
Hi Jim,

Your technical analysis sounds quite impressive albeit it's a little over my head though :)

I just really like that version of "little wing" not only because it's a really nice cover of the song but also because of the tonal qualities...ie classic strat tone thru a tube amp that's teetering on the edge of breakup.

The:

http://www.hendrix.ru/

is one of the best websites I've found for comparing the tonal qualities of various guitars brands/types albeit it's not really an apples vs apple comparison because each mp3 is a different rendition ..but you can get a good idea of what the various guitars are going to sound like. It takes a little muddling around the first page, because it's in Russian, but if you can find your way to the mp3 pages, the guitar types are in English so it's easier from there.

If anyone else knows of any good websites that have sonic comparisons of various guitars, I'd be highly interested in knowing that URL!!

Archived