Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Which amps sound good paired together?

FnB

Line 6's Vetta 2 boasts being able to run two different amps at once and I've been told some guitarists get their trademark sound by using this method.

My bro has recently paired his Marshall AVT with a cheap and nasty practice amp by running the output from his chorus pedal to both amps. As well as getting a nice stereo image from the pair, when the Marshall is dirtied up, the clean sound from the other amp still comes through so you can always hear what he'e playing without it sounding muddy.

I plan to shell out on a pair of different little 50W (preferably tube combo) amps and was just wondering if anyone else was doing this and if so what amp combinations work well together?

Chris Griffin: Yo, did y'all check me when that hottie was all up in my Kool-Aid? Yeah, I was looking to break off a little somethin' somethin' but my crew gave me the 411 on that skank and she's all about the bling-bling.

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Originally posted by guitar geezer:

Eric Johnson usually runs thru Fender Deluxe Reverb and Marshall Plexi (plus about a million pedals ;) )

WARNING: Information Overload to follow

http://guitargeek.com/rigs/img/e/ericjohnson_2001.gif

Awful looking rig with all those pedals. Me not like one bit. He should replace them all with a TC Electronics G Major or Lexicon G2.

Why does he feel the "need" for so many effects anyway? I've never seen him live, but I hear he constantly keeps turning dials and flipping switches while performing. Nervous habits die hard I guess.

Have you recorded an MP3 today?

Originally posted by FnB:

Line 6's Vetta 2 boasts being able to run two different amps at once and I've been told some guitarists get their trademark sound by using this method.

My bro has recently paired his Marshall AVT with a cheap and nasty practice amp by running the output from his chorus pedal to both amps. As well as getting a nice stereo image from the pair, when the Marshall is dirtied up, the clean sound from the other amp still comes through so you can always hear what he'e playing without it sounding muddy.

I plan to shell out on a pair of different little 50W (preferably tube combo) amps and was just wondering if anyone else was doing this and if so what amp combinations work well together?

Not much of a trick actually. The easiest way to do this and need only one footswitch to switch channels is to use a stereo effects processor to link the 2 amps.

Pick your favorite amp to drive the rig. Run it's LINE OUT to the input of the stereo effects processor. Take the stereo output of the processor to both EFFECTS RETURN of the amps. Now both amps are being driven from the "favorite" amp's preamp, and both will switch channels so to speak with the one footswitch of the favorite amp.

Originally posted by Guitarzan:

nothing is as scary as Dave Gilmours rig!!! :eek:

I don't know, I saw Steve Lukather's rig up close. Besides the 4 Rivera Knuckleheads he was using (irony!!), he had 2 racks the size of phonebooths.

Originally posted by Guitarzan:

thats insane!! did he use the loslobottom cabs as well? thats a nice intimate setup. :rolleyes:

He had something insane like 8 speakers, each with its own swinging boom mike in front. He also used that Ernie Ball guitar of his. I'd rather see him go back to his 335, Carlton was playing one that night though.

Archived