Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Alvino Rey R.I.P-innovator of talking and steel guitar

hard truth

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Wow...I think the most surprising thing about this story is that I had no idea that up until just recently he was still alive!

I remember when I was a little kid, my mom used to watch "The King Sisters" variety show. He was a regular, with his talking pedal steel.

Rest easy, Mr. Rey!

"Cisco Kid, was a friend of mine"

Mr. Alvino Rey had a connection with the early Gibson company when Loyd Loar was still in charge, IIRC. He was working closely with the R & D team on designing and marketing both Gibson's electric hawaiian (EH) and electric spanish (ES) guitars.

BlueStrat

a.k.a. "El Guapo" ;)

...Better fuzz through science...

http://geocities.com/teleman28056/index.html

Originally posted by bluestrat:

Mr. Alvino Rey had a connection with the early Gibson company when Loyd Loar was still in charge, IIRC. He was working closely with the R & D team on designing and marketing both Gibson's electric hawaiian (EH) and electric spanish (ES) guitars.

Possible, but unlikely (as for working with Lloyd) because Rey was only 16 years old when Lloyd Loar resigned in 1924 over an electric bass design that neither Gibson execs nor the public accepted. (Thirty years ahead of Leo Fender, et. al.) ;)

Rey's contributions were great. His death just a little sad. :( (I mean, the guy was 95 years old.[/i] )

It's easiest to find me on Facebook. Neil Bergman

Soundclick

fntstcsnd

Archived