Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Is the Tech 21 PSA-1 Sansamp old hat?

FnB

I have my own PA system and I've been looking for something to DI into it as opposed to carting a tube amp around.

I've heard some MP3 demos of the rackmount PSA-1 and they sound pretty good (but then the guy playing the demos is pretty skilled...)

I was suprised to see that these things are still going for 450 pounds new (800ish bucks)seeing as most of the posts on the net about them date back to pre 2000.

Are these things any good or are they not old hat by now? Is the POD XT Pro the king of these amp modeller types?

Chris Griffin: Yo, did y'all check me when that hottie was all up in my Kool-Aid? Yeah, I was looking to break off a little somethin' somethin' but my crew gave me the 411 on that skank and she's all about the bling-bling.

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'd love to see a new PSA. Something with a more flexible midrange section, which the PSA-1 seems to lack. Of course, the new one would feature new amp models, too. To effectively control this with the PSA-1, one would have to get a MIDI controllable effects unit that has at least a good 10 band EQ, IMO.

I do like the PSA-1 in that it does use analog circuits in its units for the tones. I've played through numerous SansAmp units, and all of them are quite warm, and punchy sounding.

Another new unit that does use analog circuits for the amp tones is Carvin\'s Frank Gambale Tone Navigator . It comes with a few esssential effects installed, and is MIDI controllable. I'd hook that up with a Rocktron Xpression unit (for extra effects like harmonizer, ring mod, etc.) in a two space rack. Both the Tone Navigator and Xpression have cab emulation, so it's a breeze to send the signal to a PA.

The Sansamps have become popular for non-guitar processing in studios. I hear more mention of them used for vocals and drums than for guitar these days.

I think the PODs do a pretty good job for the money. The current king of the digital amp emulator is the Vox Tonelab. Haven't heard one so I can't comment personally but GP was all over this unit.

I would really like to hear the Carvin Tone Navigator. Looks like a really interesting piece of gear.

"You never can vouch for your own consciousness." - Norman Mailer

The Carvin tube power amp they made to go with it is pretty reasonably priced too...except that chrome would be hard to keep looking good.

Hey you white boy there

Go play that funky music

"ok...what's it pay?"

first smoke, then silence

your very expensive rig

dies so gracefully

Originally posted by reachjkh:

The Carvin tube power amp they made to go with it is pretty reasonably priced too...except that chrome would be hard to keep looking good.

Anyway, here's a small blurb from Frank himself (from frankgambale.com)

21. Let's talk about equipment, can you tell us your current set-up? Do you have one set-up for studio and one for live gigs, or is it the same?

I usually use similar gear in the studio as I do live. If it sounds good live it usually sounds good in the studio too. I have used the TC Electronic G-Force for a while and it is fantastic. A JMP-1 Marshall preamp, a Stewart power amp and Marshall 4x12 with vintage Celestion speakers. Lately I've been using the new Yamaha DG130 amps, they sound terrific. I'm trying to get them to make a preamp version of the DG130 head because I prefer using P.A. amplifiers for big headroom. I've tried some power amps made for guitar and they're just a joke to me. If it's less than 250 watts a side, you may as well use a combo guitar amp because you won't gain any headroom that way. If you use an amp that was designed for a P.A. system, you run it on about 1/2 for excellent results. That way you can have loud and clear, or distortion or whatever you want.

Archived