Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Is the guitar dead?

Gruupi

I wanna know why no one talks about trey anastasio... this guy is truly amazing. yeah, phish is off the wall, but man is it refreshing not to hear corporate rock. they have a live cd out, "06". starts with "funky bitch" and just gets better as the cd goes on. 3 disc set, disc 2 is amazing, disc 3 is good, disc one rocks. I saw "rolling stone mag (rag?)" had him ranked #80. what a joke. I think he belongs in the top 10 at least, and if yer listenin closely, you will too. his 2cd live "plasma" has spectacular moments.

If you don't wanna be nibbled, don't play with the bunny.

God created Eve and me, not Steve and me. - Adam

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't think it can be argued that guitar is dead.

Actually I think it is back on the rise. That spirit in guitarist's playing that was lost in the 80's when shredders wanted to see how fast they could play arpeggios, is coming back, I think. More and more people are taking up guitar these days, and if you look at society most people aren't buying into that MTV crap anymore. Most people are going back to the years of good music...when music was about the music not the money. Granted there was tremendous talent that was found in the 80's and 90's but now everyone is starting to look back before then. I think this is a great time for the guitar. Looking at my generation I wouldn't be surprised in the least if these next ten to fifteen years produce some absolutely stellar guitarists. But that's just my opinion.

-Jim Matteucci

Yea I'm 16 and I have a lot to learn

http://thefuryband.tripod.com/

The guitar has its place.

Not many guitarist achieve the popularity that many vocalist enjoy based on their talents as a guitarist. But then you have to take into account what makes up the world of popular music. You don't find many artist that are groundbreaking or truly inspirational due to their talent alone.

Eddie Van Halen enjoyed great success due to his abilities. But he was helped by being the namesake of a very hot, flashy band with a wild, attractive frontman. I'm sure a lot of us heard about Alan Holdsworth from guitarists like Eddie, Alex Lifeson, and others.

Alan Holdsworth is one of those great guitarist who is not known by the mainstream, yet inspired many and whose style actually runs through the veins of generations of guitarists. Others like him, such as Danny Gatton and Roy Buchanan strive for innovation and inspire other guitarists, keeping the dream alive.

Yum, Yum! Eat em up!

weren`t people asking this same question about rock music ad nauseum 15 years or so ago? nu-metal might not be your thing but take away the silly label and it`s still rock.

Also, music develops as music technology does, maybe too much so. The next breakthrough in guitar toys-the next VG-88-will change the possibilities for the guitar, ergo new directions will emerge. Whether it`s actually new music or not-I don`t EVEN wanna get that started.

Same old surprises, brand new cliches-

Skipsounds on Soundclick:

www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandid=602491

Archived