Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Fab designer's early works-need tip

alanfc

I'm keeping my eyes open for one of these Fender Rivera designs or one of those Yamaha Soldano designs to try, as well as their currents..

I think the Soldano Yamahas are the T-50 and T100, but is there a way to know from any info on the back of the amp, like the year of manufacture or the range of serial # ?

I'm less certain about the Rivera Fenders, what are those model names and years again?

any tips would be greatly appreciated

Rivera + Fender Strat

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Here ya go!

Those would be the early '80s (starting in '82 sometime) "II" series amps with various pull-knob boosts (including "lead"-boosts and mid-boosts) and channel-switching.

The line included the Champ II, Super Champ, Princeton Reverb II, Deluxe Reverb II, Concert, and Twin Reverb II amps, among others.

I believe that all of the Paul Rivera designed II-series Fenders had the power switch relocated to the front panel, in or near the right-most upper corner.

Some, like the Concert, London Reverb, and Twin Reverb II, were available in head-only versions, as well as combos with various speaker-configurations.

Most of these had kind of "neo-blackface-revivalist" cosmetics; the Super Champ, Princeton Reverb II, and Concert were also available as "special edition" versions with brownface control-panels and light-brown grille-cloth in natural-finished oak cabinets.

Ask yourself- What Would Ren and Stimpy Do?

~ Caevan James-Michael Miller-O'Shite ~

_ ___ _ Leprechaun, Esquire _ ___ _

Glad you liked it!

Looking at old Fender ad-copy pics, I can't make out some of the model names on the amps, at least not without a magnifying-glass; so I know I didn't include all of 'em!

I believe that some models shown were solid-state, and those may or may not have also been designed by Paul Rivera. Either way, I made the assumption that you wouldn't be as interested in them, so my list is less than exhaustive!

I think that the Princeton Reverb II, the Deluxe Reverb II, and the 1x12" version of the Concert were probably the most successful of these, at least as far as achieving what Fender and Paul Rivera perceived as fulfilling the (post-Mesa Boogie) wants and needs of the amp-buying public.

Oops! The London Reverb, for what it's worth, was a SS design.

The "II"-era amps that have a plastic tag on the grille-cloth with the model name on it are the solid-state members of the line. (Not to be confused with the later, post-CBS "red-knob" amps like "The Twin", the "red-knob" "Dual Showman" head, and the "Super 60" combos and head.) Again, these may or may NOT have been designed by or with Mr. Rivera.

The production of the "II"-series amps wasn't necessarily stopped due to Mr. Rivera's departure from the company; I don't know when or under what circumstances he pulled up stakes, but I do know that when Fender was sold, there was a period when no amplifier production facility was operating (or, I believe, even in existance) and the amps carrying the Fender name in the marketplace were left-over Rivera-designed "II"s and various solid-state models; many small examples of these SS amps were imported under contract to foreign manufacturer(s).

I remember a lot of buzz around those Soldano-Yamahas when they came out, too; mostly good, some bad. Short lived, though.

Just curious- why the specific interest in these?

Originally posted by Caevan O'Shite:

thanks for the info.

my interest in these are in my efforts to widen the pool of amps to try. I've read (not heard in person) that the Yamaha T-50&T-100 are very Soldano-like and that there were some Fenders that were very Rivera-like. Maybe I can find a gem in a used shop down here...

I'm still probably going to get a Rivera R-30 and hookup a 2x12. But I keep having doubts about Rivera's potential for good distortion/gain levels compared to Soldano. Again, only based on what I've read, not heard in person. I don't need death metal but I want tuby, shiny, focused, intense distorted tones. With the option of going brutal if the song warrants it. Don't care about clean tones.

The Rivera clips on their website made me wild for a Rivera. Like an instant reaction. I've also heard some great Soldano clips too on other Discussion boards. And I can't afford a Bogner, but their EL-34 Shiva clips are actually better to me than Rivera's. And I'm doubting Marshall quality control based on what I've read. I just have to get hands on and see for myself.

thanks for the note

Rivera + Fender Strat

Yeah, "sound-clips" are very unreliable, for so many reasons that an entire thread could easily be devoted to the subject!

I think that Riveras are great amps, and they've got a model to suit just about anyone, I'd think. At least for the most part.

Originally posted by alanfc:

thanks for the info.

my interest in these are in my efforts to widen the pool of amps to try. I've read (not heard in person) that the Yamaha T-50&T-100 are very Soldano-like

That's because they were designed and actually made by Soldano. If you like the Soldano sound T-50s are cheap on eBay, maybe $350. Another cheap Soldano route might be to pick up a used Soldano X77 preamp.

Riveras tend to come with EL34 tubes. Some have bias switches that support both them and 6L6s. I like Riveras but not enough to buy one.

You might want to look into Fuchs. Andy will convert an existing old tube amp into a Fuchs for around $800. Fuchs sound very much like Dumbles and Boogies.

Speaking of Boogies, you can't go wrong with a Mark IV.

Have you recorded an MP3 today?

Originally posted by Mr Nice Jazz Guitar Guy:

That's because they were designed and actually made by Soldano. If you like the Soldano sound T-50s are cheap on eBay, maybe $350. Another cheap Soldano route might be to pick up a used Soldano X77 preamp.

Riveras tend to come with EL34 tubes. Some have bias switches that support both them and 6L6s. I like Riveras but not enough to buy one.

You might want to look into Fuchs. Andy will convert an existing old tube amp into a Fuchs for around $800. Fuchs sound very much like Dumbles and Boogies.

Speaking of Boogies, you can't go wrong with a Mark IV.

thank you. Indeed my interest in these came from the Rivera/Fender and Soldano/Yamaha connections... I figure Boogie Mark IV, Fuchs, everything is going to get my attention. I think I'm partial to EL-34 sounds, but I won't know until I'm hands-on. Not immediately but soon (Its ye'old coffee can savings plan right now )

and also thanks Guitarzan for that article. I am going to be on the prowl for one of these, now that I read that Soldano's designs for the T-50/100 for the most part met his standards

Rivera + Fender Strat

Heh-heh! I thought that maybe you were starting a collection of Rivera-era-Fenders and Soldano's Yama-Hot Rods. (I wasn't questioning interest in Soldano-yamahas.) You know, they'd probably be good additions to a collection of amps, not only as good amps in there own rights, but as points of interest in the nooks-and-crannys of amp-history.

Originally posted by Guitarzan:

keep a close eye on ebay. :D

I've been checking EBAY atleast twice a day for about 10 different brands & models. Seen the greatest stuff come & go. Soon enough. Once the funds are in, the city-wide amp store sweep will commence. Then I'll either stumble on to something and grab it or atleast know what the things sound like when I bid on EBAY
Rivera + Fender Strat

Hey, you should check out the "One Amp Two Purposes"-thread, if you haven't already.

Everybody who's replied on there has come up with some really great suggestions, and many points to be considered.

You might want to add some thoughts of your own, too, alanfc!

Hey, you should check out the "One Amp Two Purposes"-thread, if you haven't already.

Everybody who's replied on there has come up with some really great suggestions, and many points to be considered.

You might want to add some thoughts of your own, too, alanfc!

great thread - thanks

I think I'm very unqualified to comment on there but once I actually get my hands on a real tube amp I'm sure I'll have plenty say (uh oh)

Rivera + Fender Strat

Archived