Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Chromatic vs. non-chromatic tuner

Wes from Wpg

Here's a dumb question.

I've played guitar for years, and still don't know what the difference is between a chromatic tuner and a regular tuner.

I'm looking for a new tuner, and wonder if the extra cost is going to make any difference to me.

Someone out there please explain the difference.

Thanks.

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

A chromatic tuner includes all the notes (A, A#/B-flat, B, C, C#/D-flat...etc.).

I prefer chromatic tuners. They are especially useful if you do any sort of alternate tuning, like dropping to E-flat, etc.

May all your thoughts be random!

- Neil

www.McFaddenArts.com

www.MikesGarageRocks.com

A chromatic tuner is useful, as you can tune to any note you want. That means if you want to do alternate tunings other than standard, then you can. Also, many chromatic tuners can be "tuned" to reference tones, like an A note from 430-450 Hz.

The non-chromatic ones tend to stick to standard tunings, though if you learn to figure out how they work, they can be used as chromatic tuners.

I'd say, save yourself the trouble, and get a good chromatic tuner. :)

I'm guessing on this one but I think a chromatic tuner let's you tune to any of the 12 pitches of the chromatic scale (i.e. C, C#, D, ...thru B ) whereas a regular guitar tuner allows you to tune to the 6 standard guitar pitches from Hi E to Low E (my Boss TU-8 also allows you to tune to 1/2 step or 1 full step down tuning).

I think the Chromatic would be useful if you use alternate (i.e. non-standard) guitar tunings whereas a regular tuner will work if you are in standard tuning.

I tune to 1/2 step down of standard tuning so my Regular tuning Boss TU-8 works fine when switched to 1/2 step or 1 flat down tuning.

Originally posted by Dennyf:

Get a chromatic. Ya never know when them "fancy" notes'll come in handy. ;)

Hi DennyF. See that L5 in your avatar? You'll never own one, or be capable of playing one, so the point is rather moot. One day, hopefully soon you'll develop an appreciation for them and those that play them.
Have you recorded an MP3 today?

Archived