Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

How did you react

DanG

Have you ever broken something on stage and had to pretend that it doesnt matter? Me? My favourite was playing at open air festival in a park, I was just about to start and was fiddling around with my pedal board (I say pedal board, but its really Volume pedal tuner and a compressor pedal)

My Strap came loose and my 175 fell off my shoulders and smashed into the monitors smashing the neck off.

I played the rest of the gig, silently fuming pretending that nothing happened, while my band mates were laughing so hard that they could barely keep time

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Originally posted by DanG:

Have you ever broken something on stage and had to pretend that it doesnt matter? Me? My favourite was playing at open air festival in a park, I was just about to start and was fiddling around with my pedal board (I say pedal board, but its really Volume pedal tuner and a compressor pedal)

My Strap came loose and my 175 fell off my shoulders and smashed into the monitors smashing the neck off.

I played the rest of the gig, silently fuming pretending that nothing happened, while my band mates were laughing so hard that they could barely keep time

Hey Dan, sorry to hear that. I'll sell ya a nice blonde 1997 ES175 with straplock built in. It's absolutely mint and very pretty.
Have you recorded an MP3 today?

Naw thanks, but cheers for the offer.... this was good few years ago. Got another one now, but I also got 137 and I prefer that.

I also use strap locks nowadays and take my time messing about with my stuff before i play.

Naw thanks, but cheers for the offer.... this was good few years ago. Got another one now, but I also got 137 and I prefer that.

I also use strap locks nowadays and take my time messing about with my stuff before i play.

Interesting, you prefer the ES137 to the ES175?

If I had to do it all over again, I'd have bought a Gibson L4 instead of the 175. While they look nearly identical, the L4 has a carved spruce top.

They don't cost much more either, which is very surprizing.

I never use my 175 since I bought my Super 5 (L5 with Super400 neck). My every day guitar is an Ibanez GB10, which I prefer to the 175 as well.

I know Gibsons aren't cheap in the UK. You should bring an empty case, come over here on "vacation", and travel back a little "heavier". :D

Have you recorded an MP3 today?

I toured over there a few years ago, I took 2 of my guitars (strats at the time) in my luggage just took the necks off and popped 'em in.

Yeah, I thought about doing that, but i know a good guy here that can find me my stuff cheaper (legit).

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

(sorry man)

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAH

ohhh.......

HAHAHAHAAHAHAHAAHAHAAHAAHAHAAHAHAHA

wew.....

HAHAHAHAHAAHAHAAHAHAAHAHAAHAH

man thats gotta suck

Oh yeah, but my break wasn't guitar related. I was the drummer in the band and my bass drum pedal's mechanism had a leather strap connecting the pedal plate with the beater. Two-thirds of the way through a song, the strap broke, making the pedal (and by extension, the bass drum) unplayable; I finished the song by playing the bass drum part on my floor tom.

After the song was over, I pulled the shoe lace out of my sneaker and used IT for the pedal strap. I finished the night that way, playing barefoot. By the way, the lace held out for months until I got around to replacing the strap with another leather one.

My drummer did something similar- we played an outdoor festival, using the event backline and a set of V-drums. Our drummer broke the pedal (a screw or two came loose). But unlike you, he was unprofessional and just stopped playing. I even tried to play one-handed and jam it back together. After a 15 minute pause and thus a loss of most of our set, he jury-rigged something workable. He is no longer our drummer...

I've had a DI give me a ton of buzz; but left that up to the sound guy to fix. Eventually he just took me out of the mains and I cranked up my amp (small club). Also played at church one morning; after wards, someone knocked over my bass- snapped the tuning beg off the low B on my bass; I had a gig that afternoon and had to do it all on a 4-string. Got by, but not the same. I've also thrown the occassional busted pedal out the window.

"Am I enough of a freak to be worth paying to see?"- Separated Out (Marillion)

NEW band Old band

ihategarybettman,

By the way, the lace held out for months until I got around to replacing the strap with another leather one.
A man after my own heart :rolleyes:

I've got a grocery store (from bread) paper with wire center "tie wrap" holding the pin in on the extension for the 2 x 2 hitch on our van. I was going to replace it ASAP (after I lost the original clip), but now that it's been a year or so, I'm not sure I see the sense in that :rolleyes: It only keeps the pin from coming out, it takes no load. The old fashioned locking method for Hex Head bolts used to be a cross-drilled head with wire put through it and twisted to the other bolt heads, so I feel like I'm in good company.

BTW, thanks for your help over on the Drum Forum, I didn't put two and two together before.

Dave

Oops, that wasn't on stage. Sorry :D

Gotta' geetar... got the amp. There must be SOMEthing else I... "need".

i bought a gretsch duo jet the day of a show and on stage the low e kept coming out of the saddle producing a horrendous low buzzing/feeding back sound. it took a while to figure out what was happening. because as lead guitarist i hardly played chords. then i noticed. and it kept happening. 1/2 way thru the set i had to switch to my back up guitar. the next day i had to return what was otherwise an incredibly beautiful, perfect, awesome guitar.

it was also very embarassing, but at least i didn't break it, and at least i could return it. breaking your guitar on stage sounds embarassing and your acting ability, to cover it up, must have been oscar worthy. kudos.

dan- sadly, when i was hunting for that guitar (exactly a year ago) i was in a different band than i am now. i ended up going with another strat, since it was primarily a back-up. i went from that Gretsch, to a Gibson SG (which was a bit TOO MUCH rock for me), and then i ended up getting a second strat and my airline. if i were playing the music i am now, i think the Gretsch would have been perfect. damn, it was beautiful. i still fawn over it whenever i'm in the music store.

Archived