Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

How many songs in a year?

I'm curious as to how many songs (or tracks or symphonies or etudes or tunes or whatever you call them) people produce in, say, one year. All the way finished, whether that means mastered and burned, or whether, to you, that means written, and rehearsed and performed? M Peasley

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply
For me I have quite few written in various stages but realistically I can probably complete 3 copyrightable songs a year. At this rate I could put out one complete album in 5 years. :D Of course to get it to sound good, that is a whole other can of worms. ;)

Mastering: last year about 400 songs (not a very good year, should have been at least 600). Duplication: quite a slow year, I cranked out less than 25% of the available capacity. Fortunately it seems like we have not lost any clients at all, there were just fewer titles and smaller batches. Recording/mixing: Lots of what we do here involves more than one engineer and I don't have the final figures where I'm at at the moment, but in the first 6 months we had about 25-30 recording projects finished (a little less than the year before). Then from august to november we had massive amounts of downtime due to a certain UK mixer manufacturer that did not deliver the parts we needed in due time. (that particular mess is material for a huge thread about support and business ethics). I did 5 weeks in the summer at a larger radio station. I also worked as monitor engineer on the largest swedish festival. Both those gigs were great, hope to do it again this year. /Mats

http://www.lexam.net/peter/carnut/man.gif

What do we want? Procrastination!

When do we want it? Later!

Do you mean the entire industry? If so, I think I read where 35,000 CDs are released, which would mean about 350,000 songs. Which blows my mind. Think of the gazillions rejected and not recorded.

> > > [ Live! ] < < <

I wrote about 16 tunes this last year, close to that the year before and probably rewrote/reworked about 16 others during that two year time-frame which is more writing than I had done in awhile. I've been surprised how much writing I've done. My main focus was to learn this digital recording racket on a computer and I have a ton of songs I believe in that need new recordings and I thought would be my main material for this learning process. I've managed to get a dozen or so of them done but still have many more to get at.

William F. Turner

Songwriter

turnersongs

Sometimes the truth is rude...

tough shit... get used to it.

I wrote about 25 or so new songs in 2002. I have only actually recorded about 6 of them. Getting them recorded is always the hardest part.

Jotown:)

"It's all good: Except when it's Great"

I wrote and recorded at least 60 songs in 2002, and wrote some others that haven't yet been recorded. Pretty much most would be considered demo to rough sketch quality recordings, some are just experiments, some are good or more polished. The more you just do it the better you'll get, is what I figure. Keeping the creative process flowing is a great thing to do; you can always edit or rework material later to make it even better with the hindsight of focusing on the material that has the most potential. Potential?

Archived