Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

center freqs for amplifier EQs?

JimK

I was mucking around with my amp modeler last night (a Digitech GNX1) and for the first time in the two years I've had it, I noticed the center frequencies for the EQ controls on the amp. The default values are: bass = 150Hz, mid = 550Hz, treble = 3.2Khz. (I say default values because you can change these to be whatever you want.)

So my question is, what do real amps use? If someone knows values for a particular amp model that would be great, but I'm also asking in a general sense. I guess some of these values surprised me. But then again, what do I know?

Thanks,

Jim

In an effort to improve the responsiveness of e-mail for everyone, the e-mail servers will be out of service.

We are hopeful that this change will improve the performance of e-mail.

• Replies 2
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't know for certain, but I assume different amps/ different manufacturers will have different specs. That's part of what creates their individual tones. And I would guess that is also why the amp modelers give you the capability of adjusting these frequencies.

Can anyone either back that up, or tell me if I'm wrong?

May all your thoughts be random!

- Neil

www.McFaddenArts.com

www.MikesGarageRocks.com

Those numbers are pretty typical of three-band guitar EQs, but there are certainly variations of as much as an octave.

And the differences contribute to a given amp's "character" as you might expect.

Thing is, duplicating band knees and centers on your box probably won't exactly duplicate the eq knobs effect on a given tube amp, 'cuz the eq filter type is different, and yours is active, rather than passive.

While a little diligent Google searching will probably yield some amp tone-stack info, I usually get the best "direct" guitar sounds just experimenting on my own. ;)

band link: bluepearlband.com

music, lessons, gig schedules at dennyf.com

STURGEON'S LAW --98% of everything is bullshit.

My Unitarian Jihad Name is: The Jackhammer of Love and Mercy.

Get yours.

Archived