Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

I just finished installing an Earvana compensating nut...

Boggs

I thought I would share with you here that I just installed an Earvana compensating nut onto my FrankenWashburn (Strattish modified Washburn MG600F) electric and I am absolutely astounded by the difference!!! That thing is the greatest thing since sliced bread for that guitar! I tend to be a bit ham-fisted as I play mostly acoustic guitars and jumbo frets on my electric just go out of intonation pretty easily in part due to my ham-fistedness. I find that I can fret lightly or fairly heavy and it sounds perfectly in tune from the first fret all the way up the neck now! Well worth the investment! took me about an hour to install it myself, but if you don't know what you are doing, it is recommended that you have it installed professionally...

I really want him to make one for my 12-string acoustic but it will be spring before he can make one up for me at best... He would have to make that one up by hand. I will DEFINITELY do it for that guitar. I don't care what it costs to have it hand-made. The difference is amazing and intonation is a real issue for 12-strings... especially when they are 30 years old like mine is! I made a mastadon bone nut and saddle for it, but it still has intonation issues that need to be addressed. The real fossilized bone sounds really good, but unfortunately, the strings don't slide on it properly when tuning (I made sure the slots are the right radii) so I may have to go to tusq in the interim. I really want that 12-string compensating nut though... Boggs

Check out my Rock Beach Guitars page showing guitars I have built and repaired... http://www.rockbeachguitars.com

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I've been sitting here reading up on the thing since I read your post. Now I just need to find the cash to afford one for all my instruments. :rolleyes:

It seems like it would solve a lot of problems I have. I've always felt that tuning for open chords was kind of a compromise, and it was only recently that I started seeing these sorts of things, and realising what the problem is.

Had to go check it out also. Looks good...seems to make more sense than the Buzz Feiten System (don't want to buy a special Korg Buzz Feiten Tuner for $100.)

So after you install the nut, do you adjust the "Intonation" with the bridge tuners? and is it holding tune all the way to the 12th fret?

Inquiring minds want to know ;)

LynNG

Lynn G

I set up intonation before putting on the new nut. Then, when I installed the nut, I set the low and high E strings exactly where they were before and the others just work the way they are supposed to! For me, it was a breeze...

Yes, it stays in tune all the way up the neck!!! Boggs

Check out my Rock Beach Guitars page showing guitars I have built and repaired... http://www.rockbeachguitars.com

I saw that in a discussion on some forum I guess (?) - the explanation as I remember, was that the Feiten is a well-tempered system, so therefore there is some compensation in the tuning... I think there was a specific tuner mentioned that has capabilities for this, and it was expensive.

I checked the FAQ link provided by one of the above posts. This is from the FAQ's of the Feiten site, it does give me the impression that you need the Korg tuner which has a "...Feiten tuning system mode for tuning and intonation" :

If you want to check your guitar's intonation yourself, you can use the Korg DT-7 Tuner, which has an exclusive Buzz Feiten Tuning System Mode for tuning and intonation. Check out details on "How to Use the Korg DT-7 Tuner" by accessing the link button on the Home Page of this site.

Archived