Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Instrumental Guitarists

Leon_

I prefer more melodic guitar to blazing speed. The ones that impress me are the ones not playing to impress me. Phil Keaggy. Pat Metheney (at his melodic best). I have kind of adopted that "paint a picture" style of playing philosophy. I will never impress anyone by my playing or skills. The beauty is in that when listening, you tend to forget to listen for that and just enjoy the scene I just painted for you instead. I had someone thank me the other day because he said he had bought my first instrumental CD a while ago and his wife just went through 48 hours of labor and delivery of their son and the only thing that would relieve the pain was playing my CD! It relaxed her so much that the pain was eased. They played it over and over again and said they never got tired of it... Nothing fast or fancy. Just nice arranging with flute, bass, piano, and my guitar. Vocals would not have had that same response no matter how good they were. Instrumental definitely has a "voice." It is just melodic rather than lyrical. Boggs
Check out my Rock Beach Guitars page showing guitars I have built and repaired... http://www.rockbeachguitars.com

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Neal Schon is one of my favorite guitarists. His latest stuff I just don't know about. It seems his career has taken a Kenny G turn. Some others I like are...

Lukather

Mike Stern

Larry Carlton (you can't like Luke w/o liking Larry)

Michael Dowdle (someone few have heard of)

Robben Ford

Metheny

Jeff Beck (of course!)

Everybody knows rock attained perfection in 1974. It's a scientific fact. - Homer Simpson

Originally posted by YYZ_123:

The album with Al Di Meola, John McLaughlin, Paco De Lucia.."Friday Night in San Francisco"...is great..That John McLaughlin Box Set sounds cool !!

Cheers !!

www.guitar9.com/leonmaclellan.html

speaking of al di meola...on derek sherinian's (went to berklee on a scolarship & dropped out to get on with it) black utopia cd...al & yngwie do a head cuttin shootout that's incredable

al said in an interview he drug his black les paul out of the case for the first time in years for this

derek in the same interview of yngwie "i've never been around a player who had such absolute control of his instrument"

perty high praise for a guy who gets so much bad ink

zack & lukather both are on this disc as well

to hear zack doin his bls/ozzie licks under a jazzy top end is quite a trip

tony franklin & billy sheehan both on bass

this-un don't sound like kenny g on guitar...guaranteed...it rips

have fun now!

whatever the mind of man can concieve & believe it can achieve!

study it as a science/practice it as an art!

luck...that's what happens when preparation & opportunity intersect

properly percieved every situation becomes an opportunity

Originally posted by skipclone 1:

this past summer I happened to tune in to PBS while they were running an allstar bluegrass festival, don`t know the venue. I managed to get Ricky Skaggs` band on tape. Not only did their guitarist play his ass off, but all these guys sung like nightengales. One three minute song and I was damn near in tears.

I think one of the most valuable abilities for a musician to retain is the ability to listen to music like a LISTENER. There are times when I hear something I want to analyze and take with me, but most times I don`t want to be following someone`s fingers with binoculars, or writing down their amp settings. There are other places for that info. To me, people who sit and listen to a CD blabbering about every scale, every interval are people I would never see a movie with. I would have to kill them.

i know what you mean, i do appreciate instrumental music but i can't take alot of it unless it has some melody. which isn't always the case. a theme is good. blowing a solo all the way through makes my mind wander. if a dude has songwriting chops to match the playing chops then yeah it can be cool.

oooh steve tibbets. great call.

i have his album "cho" that is one of the most haunting things i've ever heard. he took recordings of tibetan monks singing then layered ambient sounds and acoustic instruments with it. one of my favorites.

Archived