Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Guitar Storage/Display

AlanThomas

I've recently moved into a smaller studio space and, to free up a little floor space, I'm considering taking my guitars out of their cases and putting them on the wall with those guitar hangy things.

Other than dust (which isn't much of a problem in my new space), is there any reason I shouldn't do this? Humidity issues? Temperature fluctuation issues? Something else?

I'd only be doing it with my solid body, and semi-hollow body electrics since I keep my acoustics in their cases with sound hole humidifiers.

Thanks in advance!

BTW, I know all the retailers do this, but I figured they probably couldn't give a rats ass since they just want to move the things out the door as fast as possible...

Signatures can appear at the bottom of your posts. This option may be disabled by the message board administrators at any time, however. You may use UBB Code in your signature, but not HTML. UBB Code Images are permitted.

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I keep mine on stands all the time ( no rugrats around ;) ) Only time they go in a case is when they go out the door! Other than all the damn dust down here, the central air and heat keeps everything at a fairly constant temp and humility.

just my $.02 worth (plus I dont have any $$$$ axes any more)

Lynn G

Lynn G

Originally posted by lynng - guitar geezer:

I keep mine on stands all the time ( no rugrats around ;) ) Only time they go in a case is when they go out the door! Other than all the damn dust down here, the central air and heat keeps everything at a fairly constant temp and humility.

just my $.02 worth (plus I dont have any $$$$ axes any more)

Lynn G

I've had all mine on hangers for years and I've noticed no ill effects. Do have to dust them occassionally, and this indicates just how long it's been since I've played some of them (which is depressing).

I posted somewhere around here a link to a site with a bunch of different kinds of hangers. I prefer the kind that hook into pegboard that swivel so you can hang the guitars at an angle (more guitars per foot that way). You can more easily change the layout as you (hopefully) acquire more guitars! :D

www.ruleradio.com

"Fame is like death: We will never know what it looks like until we've reached the other side. Then it will be impossible to describe and no one will believe you if you try."

- Sloane Crosley, Village Voice

If you are in Utah, I wouldn't think you would have humidity issues. At least not like here in Florida!

Temp fluctuations shouldn't be a problem if your thermostat is working fairly well. I would think solid and semi-solids should be up to the task. Do you have a lot of windows? Windows let in a lot of sun, which when beating on a guitar can heat it up quite a bit! Also, windows let a lot of prying eyes in, if you live in a big city, this could be an issue.

As far as the wall hangers, I never liked them myself. It seems too easy for clumsy people(like me, sometimes) to be able to knock them down.(that's one big reason I like headless, no tuners to hit when they fall over) But then again, I couldn't use a wall hanger, mine are headless. I either use a conventional stand, throw them on the couch, or in the closet.

My personal preference has been to one of those stands where they all sit next to each other, kinda like a sideways sandwich. I always wanted to build one of those. I think that is an efficient use of space in a foolproof design.

Just my two cents.

Check out some handcrafted guitars:

http://home.mindspring.com/~grus/guitars.htm

"My personal preference has been to one of those stands where they all sit next to each other, kinda like a sideways sandwich. I always wanted to build one of those. I think that is an efficient use of space in a foolproof design.

Just my two cents."

Like so ?

http://tienda.musicasa.com/img/gdc.jpg

In any CASE (lol) if you hang your guitars wouldn't the cases still take up space as well as the guitars ?

Ernie

If in doubt leave it Out !

String Swings...

I hang all my intruments or have them on stands except my mandolin & a violin. I've gotta have a bit more wall room & when I do, everything will be on hangers.

I find that if they're in cases, they take up too much room so they get moved to a closet, or somewhere & then are seldom, if ever played.

I'm in So Cal & not had issues with humidity or other problems, other than the need to dust periodically.

There are some chemical reactions that can, and will, destroy a guitar's finish and hardware if kept in a case too so it's a crapshoot either way but I'll take my chances on them hanging around.

Our Joint

"When you come slam bang up against trouble, it never looks half as bad if you face up to it." The Duke...

The key, as has been alluded to several times, is to keep your temperature and humidity constant in the storage space.

TW - storing instruments in cases for extended periods of time is not better than exposed in a light/temp./humidity controlled room.

Store a guitar in its case for months at a time without opening the case and you can end up with a cracked finish or worse. Why?

Unless you attend to the humidity issue in each case, your guitar will dry out. Guitar cases are not hermetically sealed.

I received plenty of calls from customers at Gibson, in only 3 months, over dad/mom/grandpa/grandma's acoustic guitars that had been stored for years in a case, with no use. They were surprised to find a cracked top upon opening the case. How could this be? It was simply shut away (usually in a closet, attic, or basement) from the elements. Right? Wrong!

The dry environment wicked all the humidity away from the instrument leaving it susceptable to the brittleness of dry wood combined with the stresses of tuned strings. Most of them assumed this damage was covered by the lifetime warranty. In most cases it was not. Failure due to lack of humidity is not a manufacturing defect. It's a mishandling issue.

I prefer to leave my instruments on hangers, where possible, or on stands. The only hanger I trust is the Off The Wall hanger. As a former MI retail salesman, I saw too many broken String Swing hangers. The Off The Wall hanger is a beefy, structurally all metal design with a thick post that mounts into the wall mount. The wall mount has 3 screwholes and comes with heavy duty drywall screw mounts. Of course, I suggest that any valuable instrument should be mounted into a stud, but the Off The Wall hanger will hold, securely, even in drywall alone.

http://media.zzounds.com/media/fit,325by400/quality,85/OTWWM2.jpg

It's difficult to compare with pictures, but just hold a String Swing next to an Off The Wall hanger and you'll easily see the difference.

It's easiest to find me on Facebook. Neil Bergman

Soundclick

fntstcsnd

Originally posted by WaterMan:

Be Carefull! The rubbery material on my guitar stand started to eat into my Les Paul's Nitro finish (despite manufacturer's claims). Therefore, I'd highly recommend getting some of these:

www.axehugger.com

They work great and look cool, too. And, no, I have no affiliation other than I bought 4 of them.

Shades of "TRADING SPACES"

Designer Slipcovers for your stand

;)

http://www.teamtatham.com/lynntest/girl156.gif

Lynn G

Originally posted by guitar geezer:

Be Carefull! The rubbery material on my guitar stand started to eat into my Les Paul's Nitro finish (despite manufacturer's claims). Therefore, I'd highly recommend getting some of these:

www.axehugger.com

They work great and look cool, too. And, no, I have no affiliation other than I bought 4 of them.

Shades of "TRADING SPACES"

Designer Slipcovers for your stand

;)

http://www.teamtatham.com/lynntest/girl156.gif

Touché. Bet Robben Ford has some, too. :cool:

www.axehugger.com

Yep, I've heard of that happening way too many times, vinyl will do the exact same thing, so be careful with some of your straps that may not be quite REAL leather, or something. Some nylon straps do the same things too, just be careful with what sits on those Nitro-cellulose finishes. :wave:

A lot of great info everybody, thanks a bunch!

Armed with new confidence, I went out and bought half a dozen "guitar hangy things" and proceeded to hang those puppies up. Here's what I wound up with:

http://www.alanthomasmusic.com/images/HangingGuitars1.jpg

And on another part of the wall:

http://www.alanthomasmusic.com/images/HangingGuitars2.jpg

Not only is it going to be nice to be able to grab one without doing the guitar case shuffle, I like having them out where I can admire them lovingly! As my old grandad used to say "It's pretty nice out... I think I'll leave it out!"

Thanks again everyone...

Signatures can appear at the bottom of your posts. This option may be disabled by the message board administrators at any time, however. You may use UBB Code in your signature, but not HTML. UBB Code Images are permitted.

Originally posted by fantasticsound:

Of course, I suggest that any valuable instrument should be mounted into a stud, but the Off The Wall hanger will hold, securely, even in drywall alone.

Really?

I had an SG hanging on my wall, and it was just in the drywall (NOT an Off-The-Wall hanger, some other brand). After a week or two it just pulled right out. Fortunately, the guitar was there only as a decoration - it was a busted-up axe with a headstock that had broken off and was re-attatched with a mending plate and screws. [it was used as a prop in a theatre production, and I got it (for free) when the show closed.]

Anyway... how do the Off-The-Walls manage to not pull out of the drywall?

May all your thoughts be random!

- Neil

www.McFaddenArts.com

www.MikesGarageRocks.com

3 contact points on the Off The Wall hanger and (supplied) extra large flange, drywall anchors. They're called, E-Z Anchors, and are sold at most any hardware store. Self drilling, one piece anchors.

http://www.smithfast.com/images/ezanc1.gif

In addition, there are toggle bolt type anchors that spread out inside the wall but provide an anchor in place of the bolt. They are very strong, but require you first drill a hole. E-Z Anchors are self drilling. Just insert a Phillips' bit and screw them into drywall. Then insert the screw and tighten.

Soundclick

fntstcsnd

3 contact points on the Off The Wall hanger and (supplied) extra large flange, drywall anchors. They're called, E-Z Anchors, and are sold at most any hardware store. Self drilling, one piece anchors.

In addition, there are toggle bolt type anchors that spread out inside the wall but provide an anchor in place of the bolt. They are very strong, but require you first drill a hole. E-Z Anchors are self drilling. Just insert a Phillips' bit and screw them into drywall. Then insert the screw and tighten.

I've used those easy anchors & wouldn't trust them to hold a guitar on a hanger, even with three to a hanger. I've had them pull out of the drywall and don't trust them for anything critical. I'd personally trust the toggle bolt anchors much more.

I'm hanging four guitars on hangers at this time with hopefully more wall area coming available soon and all are secured to the wall studs. Securing to studs my not leave you with all the asthetic spacing you may want but I'd much rather have the security.

Our Joint

"When you come slam bang up against trouble, it never looks half as bad if you face up to it." The Duke...

Never had a problem, Dak. But of course, YMMV. I would suggest finding a stud for at least one of the 3 contact points anyway.

OT: Hey AlanThomas

How 'bout details on that P90 Tele thingie hanging on the wall...

Which guitar do you mean, Lynn? I don't see any in AlanThomas' pics with P-90's. :confused:

I see:

• a bass
  • a paisley tele with single coils
  • a mandolin (neck only)
  • a blue Ric (I'm not familiar with Ric p-ups.)
  • a gold-ish tele with single coils
  • and what appears to be a Yamaha strat copy with a h-s-s p-up configuration.

Which guitar are you describing?

Soundclick

fntstcsnd

Originally posted by daklander:

I've used those easy anchors & wouldn't trust them to hold a guitar on a hanger, even with three to a hanger. I've had them pull out of the drywall and don't trust them for anything critical. I'd personally trust the toggle bolt anchors much more.

I'm hanging four guitars on hangers at this time with hopefully more wall area coming available soon and all are secured to the wall studs. Securing to studs my not leave you with all the asthetic spacing you may want but I'd much rather have the security.

Those are what I used. I'm with Dak on this one. I wouldn't trust 'em again. The toggle bolts are fine (and they work), but they'll work with just about any hanger. I was just curious if there was something particular to the Off-The-Wall hangers that would make them stronger.

May all your thoughts be random!

- Neil

www.McFaddenArts.com

www.MikesGarageRocks.com

Originally posted by NoëlMcGuitar:

Those are what I used. I'm with Dak on this one. I wouldn't trust 'em again. The toggle bolts are fine (and they work), but they'll work with just about any hanger. I was just curious if there was something particular to the Off-The-Wall hangers that would make them stronger.

I'm sorry we went off on a tangent about the drywall anchors.

As for the Off The Wall, it's stronger because:

• Metal base vs. cheap (and I do mean cheap) wood on the String Swing basic model that AlanThomas used. I've dealt with at least 5 or 6 friends and customers whose instruments have fallen from wooden base, String Swing hangers. One instance was a vintage 1930's Gibson banjo, at Opryland. The owner was lucky. Gibson wanted to reissue the model and had no good original to examine. In exchange for allowing them to run tests on his instrument, they fixed it for free and set him up with a very sweet endorsement deal. :thu: I guess that was a good thing!?!?! ;)
  • Thick metal vs. thin plate on the String Swing metal base. While this is true, at least the metal String Swing should be solid. I find the Off The Wall to be more robust for the same money, and nicer looking. So why buy the cheesy looking one? ;)
  • The Off The Wall hanger mounts to it's base plate with a much thicker metal stalk. I'll have to go home an measure, but I'd estimate it at 1/2" to 3/4' thick. Very sturdy.

BTW, Off The Wall also makes a wider version for 12 string's, jumbo classical guitars, etc.

Soundclick

fntstcsnd

How 'bout details on that P90 Tele thingie hanging on the wall...

That gray Tele is a 1984 Telecaster Elite that I bought new in December of that year. The original, active pups where white and about half again as wide as a normal single coil.

There's a pretty large cavity behind the knobs where the circuit board and battery went, along with the pots.

Those pups sounded pretty much like poo-poo, and I struggled with them for years before finally getting the ones it has now almost two years ago. The bridge pup is a Seymour-Duncan stacked humbucker, I forget the model but here's a close-up:

http://www.alanthomasmusic.com/images/BridgePUP.jpg

You can see from the cavity how wide the original pups were. The neck pup is also a stacked humbucker. I kind of forget the make, a Tom Something-or-other I think:

http://www.alanthomasmusic.com/images/NeckPUP.jpg

I originally intended to have these installed with coil taps & push/pull pots (and swear I told my guitar guy to do it) but it didn't happen.

I kept the original pups and pot/circuit board/battery assembly in case I ever want to restore it to factory spec. My guitar tech was able to extract it all without desoldering anything other than the pickup leads so it should all pretty much drop right back in. Fender was also kind enough to send me the original schematics and parts list free of charge.

I call this guitar my "Les Paulecaster" since in a lot of ways its more similar to a Les Paul than a Tele. One other thing - This thing is heavy! About 9 lbs.! I use a really wide leather strap to distribute the weight.

So that's the story, sorry for rattling on so long!

Cheers...

AT

Originally posted by AlanThomas:

...The bridge pup is a Seymour-Duncan stacked humbucker...

...The neck pup is also a stacked humbucker. I kind of forget the make, a Tom Something-or-other I think

Cheers...

AT

Well, not exactly, AT. :)

The Seymour Duncan is not a stacked humbucker. It's a normal, side-by-side humbucker, except it's coils are narrow to make the total width small enough to fit a normal single coil opening. The other is, indeed, a stacked humbucker, with one coil stacked on top of the other. Still wired humbucking, but not the same. (Hence, the reason pup mnfr's make both types.)

Soundclick

fntstcsnd

Archived