Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Greetings From Canada

Leon_

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hey, yeah, welcome, KenLeeX!

My sporadically, occasionally dyslexic mind made me read your name as "KleeenX" the first time! (Sorry, I just thought it was funny...)

I'm not too far away, here in Watkins Glen in the Southern Tier end of the Finger Lakes region of New York State. I used to live closer, up in Rochester, and spent some time in Fort Drum (up near Watertown) as well. Went to Kingston and the outlying area when I was a kid in the Summer of '76 or '77, too.

Click here to go to a past thread that (I hope) you'll find good for a laugh! (Scroll down and read the whole thing; then scroll back to the top to read what the thread started out being about!)

So... what kinda music do ya dig, and what kinda guitar(s)? And how's the local music scene in your corner of Canadia? ;)

Ask yourself- What Would Ren and Stimpy Do?

~ Caevan James-Michael Miller-O'Shite ~

_ ___ _ Leprechaun, Esquire _ ___ _

Hello Canadian! ;)

I'm in Moncton, well, Riverview, technically. Nova Scotians should know where that is. For the rest of you, it's four hours East of Bangor, Maine. I've been travelling the Maritimes for the past year, since I met the love of my life from New Brunswick, and now I'm in the beginnings of the process of comtemplating thinking about possibly moving at a future date. :D Ok, I'm moving, soon. For now, most of my guitars are at my house in Pennsylvania. :( All I have here is a Guitalele and a mandolin. Poor me indeed.

Hello Everyone:

Thanks for the comments !!

I listen to all styles of music/guitarists...

In my opinion I think every rock guitarist should have these recordings:

1. Van Halen (First Album)

2. Joe Satriani- Surfing With The Alien

3. Frank Marino & Mahagony Rush "Live" 1978

4. Jeff Beck "Blow By Blow & Wired"

5. Anything by Stevie Ray Vaughn

6. Anything by Eric Johnson

7. Rush- Moving Pictures

8. Jimi Hendrix "Bold As Love"

9. Steve Vai, Joe Satriani, Eric Johnson, G-3 "DVD"

10. Steve Lukather, Larry Carlton "No Substitutions"

Originally posted by KenLeeX:

Hello Everyone:

Thanks for the comments !!

I listen to all styles of music/guitarists...

In my opinion I think every rock guitarist should have these recordings:

1. Van Halen (First Album)

2. Joe Satriani- Surfing With The Alien

3. Frank Marino & Mahagony Rush "Live" 1978

4. Jeff Beck "Blow By Blow & Wired"

5. Anything by Stevie Ray Vaughn

6. Anything by Eric Johnson

7. Rush- Moving Pictures

8. Jimi Hendrix "Bold As Love"

9. Steve Vai, Joe Satriani, Eric Johnson, G-3 "DVD"

10. Steve Lukather, Larry Carlton "No Substitutions"

Ummm... You left out a few:

1) Pantera - Cowboys From Hell

2) System of a Down - Toxicity

3) Megadeth - Countdown to Extinction

4) Iron Maiden - Best of the Beast

5) Metallica - Ride the Lightning

6) Black Sabbath - We Sold our Souls for Rock & Roll

7) Ozzy Osbourne - Blizzard of Oz

8) Garbage - Beautiful Garbage

9) Marcy Playground

10) Weezer - the blue album

11) Offspring - Smash

BlueStrat

a.k.a. "El Guapo" ;)

...Better fuzz through science...

http://geocities.com/teleman28056/index.html

I'm a Guitarist/Songwriter from Canada...Great Site..Very informative !!
I agree, great, informative! :wave:

BTW, my mind also read it as Kleenex at first too. Maybe you should clean up your name. :D

Just kiddin' :D Maybe if you explained the "roots" of the name?

Liked you list of the "Top Ten" too.

Hey, bluestrat, I was just reading an article of "The Top 50 Albums Every Guitarist Should Own" and Ozzy's "Blizzard" was number one. Is it really that good? Would I be able to listen to it without puking at the thought of downing a live mouse? :D

Dave

Gotta' geetar... got the amp. There must be SOMEthing else I... "need".

You should be able to listen to it. Randy Rhoads is awesome on that album (I've got it on vinyl, so it is an album to me! :D ).

Highlights:

1) I Don't Know

2) Crazy Train

3) Goodbye to Romance

4) Suicide Solution

5) Mr. Crowley

If you survive that one and want more, go with Diary of a Madman

BlueStrat

a.k.a. "El Guapo" ;)

bluestrat,

You should be able to listen to it. Randy Rhoads is awesome on that album ...
Yea, the same magazine had an (old) interviw with him, with the same conclusion (awesome on that album). :thu:

Thanks for the info. :cool:

Dave

Gotta' geetar... got the amp. There must be SOMEthing else I... "need".

Welcome! Glad there's one more Nova Scotian on the board. There seems to be some strong Maritime representation here for some reason. Maybe we're just more musically inclined than other Canadians. :D

Saw that Bruce Jacobs played on your record. He was a pretty ubiquitous presence in HFX when I was growing up. He also was involved in the Canadian Conservatory (above Music Stop) where I took lessons. Blast from the past!

Some more recomendations:

-Anything by Jimmy Bryant and Speedy West

-Van Halen - "1984"

-Living Colour - "Vivid"

-Joe Pass - "Virtuoso"

-Metallica - "Master of Puppets"

-The Charlie Hunter Quartet - "Natty Dread"

"You never can vouch for your own consciousness." - Norman Mailer

Ah, so you're Nova Scotian! Greetings and welcome!

Sayin' you're from Canada covers a lot of territory. ;)

My girlfriend's from Newfoundland, the only time I've been to Nova Scotia was to make connecting flights in Halifax, but I'd love to go there just to see the province.

I'm diggin' the Irish Decendants, the Punters and of course Great Big Sea. Is that the vibe of maritime province music in general, or just Newfoundland? Cool celtic/folk vibe.

band link: bluepearlband.com

music, lessons, gig schedules at dennyf.com

STURGEON'S LAW --98% of everything is bullshit.

My Unitarian Jihad Name is: The Jackhammer of Love and Mercy.

Get yours.

Originally posted by Guitarzan:

gotta love the maritimes. :thu:

Been there, done that. I really liked Halifax and Lunenburg. Peggy's Cove was really beautiful the day we went out to the lighthouse. The Citadel was an awesome sight! But, towards the end of the week it started to rain and got downright cold when we took the Digby Ferry over to St. Johns.

Oh, and I love the local seafood favorite - Fish & Chips! Big difference from the Salt & Pepper catfish I get at the fish camp on saturday night in Gastonia, NC.

BlueStrat

a.k.a. "El Guapo" ;)

Originally posted by batterypowered:

I want to go to Newfoundland. I hear they have huge fjords there, which I'd loooooove to see. :thu:

The chjevy's are pretty big too. Need 'em for the snow. . . :cool:

Couldn't resist. The "Rock" is beautiful in it's way, the people are GREAT! And George St. in St. John's has to be experienced at least once. I've been officially "Screeched" in and am looking forward to going back again. :thu:

Which reminds me of the following: The Canadian government, in an effort to determine the most frequent cause of fatalities in SUV's and 4X4 pickups mandated the installation of devices similar to airplane voice cockpit recorders.

In practically all of Canada, they discovered the last words of most drivers was either "Oh my God!" or "Oh shit!"

However, in Newfoundland, the most common last words were "Hold me beer an' watch dis!"

Get yours.

Denny, my wife is a newfie. i had the pleasure to visit NFLD 3 years ago. very cool place.

I love it except for the climate. Been there for Christmas the last two years in a row. Nice place to visit, probably wouldn't wanna live there . . . for real long, anyway. Summer's too short.

My girlfriend and I bought a house in Virginia Beach this past summer. Turns out our nextdoor neighbor is also a Newfie! Small world.

Get yours.

Originally posted by Dennyf:

Denny, my wife is a newfie. i had the pleasure to visit NFLD 3 years ago. very cool place.

I love it except for the climate. Been there for Christmas the last two years in a row. Nice place to visit, probably wouldn't wanna live there . . . for real long, anyway. Summer's too short.

My girlfriend and I bought a house in Virginia Beach this past summer. Turns out our nextdoor neighbor is also a Newfie! Small world.

you were there last year? shit they had a lot of snow eh? i mean a lot of snow!

Originally posted by bluestrat:

Ummm... You left out a few:

2) System of a Down - Toxicity

Now, wait just a minute. Your number one hailed Dimebag...fair enough, your number three hailed Dave Mustain and Marty Friedman, but you really think that the number two position goes to .........DARON MALAKIAN?

Honestly, i am tired of the hype surrounding this guys playing, I really don't see it as all that spectacular. Yes, I love the music but his progressions and style is but-plug simple to say the least, and he needs to get some better melody lines in there somewhere. I don't know, what do you guys think of Daron Malakian?

Hi there! And welcome aboard!

:wave:

I missed your original "handle". When I saw Caevan's post, I thought it said "Kleenex" too... :rolleyes: I'm guessing the "YYZ" reference is a nod to Rush - I've always dug that tune! :thu:

May all your thoughts be random!

- Neil

www.McFaddenArts.com

www.MikesGarageRocks.com

Archived