Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Help me scale down amp size, but keep tone

kid music

I use a 50 watt Marshall 900 head and a 4X12 Marshall cabinet. I run my guitar through a Pod, so I keep the Marshall on a very clean setting.

I need a smaller amp. I tried the Roland keyboard amp (65watt version), as it was recommended by some, even for guitarists. But I was disappointed by the tone when I a/b'd it against my Marshall.

Any recommendations? I know I won't get the same tone as my Marshall, but I'll go for anything smaller if it gets something resembling the tone and volume I have now.

Perhaps a combo amp? Perhaps a smaller cabinet of some sort to go with my 50watt head? It's been so long since I bought anything new, I'm a bit lost.

I play over 100 shows a year, and it's killing my back and my car.

Thanks!

-kid music

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Years ago, I had a 30w Marshall head and the cabinet was a 2x12. The head had a tube preamp section and solid state power section, but it screamed! I want to say it was called the 3022 series, but can't remember exactly. I know if I found another, I'd scoop it up really fast!
Everybody knows rock attained perfection in 1974. It's a scientific fact. - Homer Simpson

For what it's worth, when I was younger (like back in the 80's), I wanted to get my hands on a Gallien-Krueger 250ML. Two 50 watt channels in a size that is a little bigger than a lunch box. Matter of fact I ended up building my own version of a clone of it, but that is a different story....

It has been out of production for a few years, but in my mind, that amp is a great example of a big punch in a little box.

Maybe someone else has opinions on this....

Check out some handcrafted guitars:

http://home.mindspring.com/~grus/guitars.htm

Originally posted by Dr. Taz:

I'd try a smaller 2x12 cab first. Your amp seems good enough anyway, and the 2x12 can still fit in the trunk, even with casters on.

Why not go with a 1 x 12" Mesa Boogie cabinet? Even smaller than the 2 x 12", so it's easier to tote and lighter. I'd bet it still has more than enough volume for smaller gigs.

BlueStrat

a.k.a. "El Guapo" ;)

...Better fuzz through science...

http://geocities.com/teleman28056/index.html

Largely because of back problems, I've been gigging quite a bit with a THD Univalve, which is a light, toneful, and small head (though unless you're going to be miked or go into a PA is a bit underpowered for full-band shows) and going into either a Zinky 2x12 (amazing!) or a Trutone 2x12 open back with Weber Blue Dogs (also amazing!!). The tones I'm getting are, yup, amazing, and my back really is thanking me (ok, not really).

Also, I love my Budday Twinmaster Ten combo. 18 watts, lightest combo I've ever owned, and tone from here to eternity (thought I was going to say "amazing" again, huh?)

If you don't need to go with 50 watts, there are many other great choices for heads: Fargen and Cornell, for instance, both make smaller-box heads that do great Marshall tones and clean up well.

As for 1x12 cabs, the only one I've played that seriously impressed me was Bogner's. It's ported, and nails the tone of a much bigger cab.

Good luck with your search!

Duh...., you like Marshall, why not just go with a smaller Marshall? God knows there are enough of them to choose from. I had the same dilemma years ago. A 50 watt plexi with an 8-10 angle cabinet (the tall single stack-roadie mandatory) I later switched to a JCM 800 50 watt Lead combo with 2-12's in it. Small, relatively light and jack out with impedance switch if you ever need to plug into a stack. Nice master volume, too. A set of casters completes the package. Problem solved

(Oh, and I should add: This little beast is LOUD.)

since I double posted, I'll add another thought

the Marshall 900 has never been considered a great tube head anyway so go to either a really clean combo like a Roland jazz chorus or any other good sounding clean SS amp. All you're tone will come from the pod and the amp will be like a pa, simply an amplified signal as chose to the source as possible

you guys are missing the point, he's getting his tone from the pod and using the Marshall as a clean power amp. That means to me anyway no power tube distortion.

If that's the case any really nice SS power amp or maybe a rack mount tube amp as a power source, that would save the weight.

Then I'd go with a 2-12 cab. You'll move less air but with the right speaker combo you'll have the tone of a 4-12 and half the weight. Hell you could even go 1-12 with a speaker you really like and mike the cab.

As long as you're getting the tone from the pod and not the power tubes any good clean powewr source should do you.

Any smaller wattage power amp will introduce power tube saturation and that produces a tone in and of itself, not what you want unless you happen to like the combination.

The Marshall's clean channel isn't like a generic clean channel on many solid state amps, it's tube and it colors the sound a bit more. It even colors the sound more than most Fenders do. Therefore, I think that tubes (at least a tube preamp) might be essential for kid music to get the tone he's after.

This is why I suggested a couple of tube amps in the 15W range.

BlueStrat

a.k.a. "El Guapo" ;)

...Better fuzz through science...

http://geocities.com/teleman28056/index.html

I suppose you're correct about the Marshall clean coloring the sound and you're right that may be an essential part of the overall sound he's getting.

I'm just saying a smaller tube amp will have to drive harder at volume and therefore color the sound even more. I'm thinking that like a jazzer, kid will need more headroom than a smaller tube amp can provide so for the sake of weight either a rack mount tube or solid state type will provide enough power and headroom and save his back.

Me I'd dump the pod and go with a univalve :) or some nice low watt tube amp combo.

I suppose you're correct about the Marshall clean coloring the sound and you're right that may be an essential part of the overall sound he's getting.

I'm just saying a smaller tube amp will have to drive harder at volume and therefore color the sound even more. I'm thinking that like a jazzer, kid will need more headroom than a smaller tube amp can provide so for the sake of weight either a rack mount tube or solid state type will provide enough power and headroom and save his back.

Me I'd dump the pod and go with a univalve :) or some nice low watt tube amp combo.

kid music you obviously have been happy with the tones and maybe have lots of reasons to use the pod. so why not check out a tech 21 power engine, or a line 6 amp like the flextone. i am guessing the pod is an important part of your sound so check out some of line 6's amps. you could either load your tone settings into the amp or put the pod in through the power amp in (skipping the pre amp). just a thought.

Since you run through a POD going through your Marshall, I gather any amp will sound about the same, with 12's and a little power. LET YOUR AMP SPEAK.......without the gimmicks....and I betcha you'll find a "new" amp with your existing stuff.
Down like a dollar comin up against a yen, doin pretty good for the shape I'm in

I'll second the smaller cabinet option.

Aside from being heavy and large, 4x12s put out a LOT of volume.

I'd look into a 2x12 with Celestion speakers. Both Carvin and Avatar make good, inexpensive cabs loaded with these.

That way you don't have to replace an amp that you like the sound of.

"You never can vouch for your own consciousness." - Norman Mailer

Years ago, I used a 1974 Marshall 50w Mark II through a 4x12. I really love the way the Marshall sounds but the 4x12 is HEAVY. I started experimenting with different cabs and found that an oak cab I made for 1x12 (JBL-E120) works great. I play clubs and outdoor gigs alot and have never had any problem projecting my sound. The only time I have to use a mic is when the soundfield is very wide and I need more dispersion. This problem would be the same with any single cab setup.
I thought I was wrong once, but I was mistaken...

Archived